Innovative Marine Aquariums

Mandarin goby with clownfish?

Hunter Lang

Can I add a Mandarin Goby in my 10g Nuvo with my two clowns? I really love the way they look but not sure how comparable, I know people say a spotted or watchman gobys are ideal. What do you guys think?

They have a special diet and need to be fed frequently and pods cultivated or a tank that can support pods naturally.

They are not gobys but dragonets and not a beginner fish so you would need to do a lot of reading and planning.

I did not care for having clowns when I had them as my clownfish were greedy and made feeding the Mandarin difficult.

It also made the tank run pretty dirty and wasn't a good place for SPS if you ever want that. 

• Like 1

I couldn't keep a mandarin alive in a 28g with tons of live rock, chaeto, etc. Don't bother trying unless you have a big tank - it will die. Everybody wants one, but they need a ton of pods to survive. I would never try one again unless I had like a 50+g.

11 hours ago, Hunter Lang said:

Thanks for the response! Yeah sounds a little too challenging for me being a beginner. I’ll look into a spotter goby maybe then

Just be sure to stay away from sand sifting gobies also, they get huge and eat living critters out of the sand and can spit it all over corals. Look for 'shrimp goby' types. Watchman, randall's goby, wheelers, orange spotted goby, hi-fin, ect.

Avoid diamond goby's, tiger watchman, and sleeper gobies.