Pod Your Reef

Oops! Ricordea Yuma ripped in half!

Roachant

Sooo... I was rearranging my corals today and I have a large Yuma that was attached to a piece of rubble that had migrated to a nearby snail shell. Well, I thought to move it today as it dropped a bunch of babies all over the rubble and I realized a part was still attached to the rubble. So, like a moron I tried to pop the Yuma off the rubble so I could have just the babies on it and it ripped in half, rather easily too. It ripped all the way in the middle, including the mouth which was ripped in half. 

Will it survive? It felt kind of gross to rip it like that but I wasn’t aware it had ripped until I looked and realized it. It even made a slight tearing sound. Yuck!

Here’s a pic of one piece. It has folded itself trying to cover its ripped area. You can see it’s guts ( misentery?) a bit.

E22185ED-5E37-45DD-AF3E-641C59072A9C.thumb.jpeg.d147fa02af7f460bec13b71132eb7f6c.jpeg

and the the second piece, not doing as well

6B8A0599-95AF-40F0-9822-D3A253272C6E.thumb.jpeg.9f32db998035085e26a0d31cedc2ff56.jpeg

• Like 2
Gourami Swami

Don't feel too bad, I did the same thing last week to an acan. Trying to pop it off the frag it was attached to so I could glue the encrusted "foot" right to the rock, I accidentally ripped it right in half. I was sure I had killed it, as you could easily see inside it, but now a few days later, both pieces have fattened up and are re-growing their missing half. So now I have two frags of this particular acan. It even still eats; I just have to watch and make sure the hermit crabs don't grab the mysis right from the coral's exposed stomach!

• Like 1

Shrooms are pretty tough. I did the same thing to a Florida Ric last year and both pieces survived and are growing. Give them time. They should be ok.

• Like 1
Christopher Marks
On 1/12/2019 at 4:52 PM, Roachant said:

It ripped all the way in the middle, including the mouth which was ripped in half. 

That's actually precisely how you would frag a yuma ricordea intentionally, by dividing it through the mouth. The foot can also regrow a new mushroom if the whole body is detached. It may take some time, but they should all recover and grow into discs again.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies, the coral is actually looking much better and strangely tried to eat!

I added some reef roids and some of it fell on it and it tried 

to eat but the food fell out of it poor thing. It was interesting and gross at the same time.