inTank Media Baskets

Something's munching on my leather

Oldsalt01

I was checking out my tank this a.m. and discovered something is munching on my leather. I've had it about a year and this is the first I've seen anything like this. Part of the CUC are a couple of Scarlet and a couple of Blue Leg Hermits, but they have never bothered any of my coral, including the zoas that are melting. Anyone have any ideas? (Yes, I know there's an Aptasia there. I'll be taking care of that this afternoon with my water change).

munch.jpg

There are nudibranchs that eat leathers. I dont know the species, but they are big. Like 1"+ big. Plus, t GB ey dont hide. Without having a wild or maricultured coral, or rock being recently added, I'd discard that idea. 

What's your alkalinity like? I find softies tend to melt when too low or too high.

Yah Ray, I'm seriously doubting a nudi. I talked to my very trusted and knowledgeable LFS today and he said pretty much the same thing. I've had this leather for almost a year and there's never been an issue with it, in fact it's doubled in size in that time. It appears more torn than melty. I'm wondering if one of my hermit's got a little too feisty trying to murder one of my Astria's (which it succeeded in doing). They were both just below the "tear" on the leather when I noticed the injury. As for the zoas, I've just never had any luck with them. They've always melted. The Acan's aren't doing so hot either, but my RPE's are going gangbusters, as are my Discosoma's, so I don't think it's an alk issue, but I'll check it tomorrow once the tank has stabilized after the water change today. Thanks for the suggestions.

Just ran a Salifert KH/Alk test and it looks like my tank is perfect for natural sea water Alk at 2.73, but a little low for a closed system, which should be between 2.86 - 4.29. Guess I'm going to have to start dosing again. The question is should I just dose Alk or Calcium too? I’m using B-ionic 2-part for dosing Alk/Ca.

B ionic has both. If you test calcium and it is too low, just use some calcium chloride to boost it to the level you want before starting the dosing again. Same goes for alk, if it’s too low to effectively rais it with 2 part, just dump in some baking soda. Epsome salts, or magnesium chloride, or a combination of the two to boost mag levels if they are too low. 

Oddly enough, I’ve found zoas to do best when the alk is boosted a bit. They do best for me around 9-10 dkh. Can’t speak much for leathers, I hate them in a tank.

I’ve pretty much written off zoas. I’ve just never had any luck with them. In the past 3 years I’ve had Eagle Eyes, Radioactive Dragon’s Eyes, Froot Loops, Candy Apples, Rasta’s, Morning Glories, and a couple of other’s I can’t even remember the names of, slowly melt away. Paly’s I don’t seem to have a problem growing. Completely stumps me, but I guess some tanks just don’t work with zoas. Guess I’llstart the 2 part tonight and see what happens. Thanks for your input. BTW, haven’t seen any further damage to the leather.