Pod Your Reef

Livestock on Day 1?

MVPLexington

Fluval EVO V, 5lbs of live sand and 8lbs of cured liverock from my LFS (plan on adding more through coral frags later). Kept the factor foam and carbon that came with the EVO, but trimmed the top for floss, and replaced the supplied ceramic rings with a media bag of purigen. I don't expect much of a cycle, which leads me to: am I able to put my CUC in the tank day 1, maintain stability for a few weeks, and then add the rest of my livestock (zoas, mushrooms, hammer, and a goby)? Does this flirt with aquarium immorality on the chance there might be a cycle?

The tank most likely will not cycle with cured liverock, there might be a small spike though.

It's always good to add an ammonia alert badge.

Even though you are setting up with cured liverock, it's always advised to go slow.

your system will still be new so adding a bunch of fish and corals in a couple of weeks is alot. A new system will still not be stable parameter wise, you will go through various algae stages etc etc.

1 thing I would reconsider is keeping the sponge in your filter, sponges are nutrient traps, even when washed they are not completely clean.

• Like 2
On 1/11/2019 at 4:25 PM, MVPLexington said:

Fluval EVO V, 5lbs of live sand and 8lbs of cured liverock from my LFS (plan on adding more through coral frags later). Kept the factor foam and carbon that came with the EVO, but trimmed the top for floss, and replaced the supplied ceramic rings with a media bag of purigen. I don't expect much of a cycle, which leads me to: am I able to put my CUC in the tank day 1, maintain stability for a few weeks, and then add the rest of my livestock (zoas, mushrooms, hammer, and a goby)? Does this flirt with aquarium immorality on the chance there might be a cycle?

My first 5.5g, I got live rock from the lfs and carried it home in buckets of water. I didn't expect a cycle but still waited 3 weeks before stocking anything and went slowly. Patience is the name of the game (plus, waiting will help ensure your CUC has food to eat).

• Like 2

When I got my first tank I was all antsy to throw stuff in ASAP. This time around I'm trying to be more patient and deliberate and enjoy the things I have instead of always think about what I want to get next or being anxious about whether it was "soon enough" to throw something in.

I guess that's more like philosophical life advice and you were probably just wondering if your cleaning crew would suffer and/or die, but that's all I got for ya.

• Like 1