SaltCritters.com

I can’t seem to get my gold Nugget Maroon clown to eat anything?

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

I’ve tried to give him flakes, which I give all of my fish, but he just enhales it, then spits it right out? He acts like he wants to eat it, but he can’t? I also give all of my fish seaweed, but he doesn’t even seem to like that at all. I’ve tried to give him dried shrimp, but he just ignores that. The only thing that he actually seemed to like was the flakes, but it’s like he can’t swallow them or something. He eats algae off of my live rock, but no food that I have seen yet. Any tips or ideas? Should I just give him time? I bought him from LiveAquaria, and he was Ora, so I don’t know if that has to do with anything.

One of my occelaris clowns was very small when I got it and did the same thing. You can try soaking the flakes in something like garlic guard to entice it. If you worried about him not eating you can give him some type of frozen food like frozen mysis. I would think he'd start eating eventually regardless as clowns aren't usually picky eaters.

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
2 minutes ago, Martin Riggs said:

Spitting out I see as being normal or if it is to big. I also vote for a garlic soak. 

I make sure to crunch up the big pieces so he can get them in his mouth, but he still just spits it out and ignores it after that.

• 4 weeks later...

Your clown literally eats algae off the rocks?   You sure it's not a Tang?  😉

Right now you're feeding him the lowest quality food possible.   (This is not a criticism just a fact...I feed some flake and pellet too.)

Fish can survive on that, but they won't thrive...and it won't do much for a picky fish either.

Try some frozen foods or, even better, something live like blackworms or whiteworms and see if he's more interested.