Pod Your Reef

8 corals in and don’t know what to do!

Hunter Lang

Hey guys, so a few weeks ago I got my first 4 corals for my tank, along with to clowns. I got a Ricordia, gsp, hammer, and branch. They have been doing great and have been stable so then I decided to get 4 more. Red mushroom, cabbage, candy cane, and some zoanthids. I recently just removed some of the corals from their plugs and glued them to the rocks. I kinda like how my set up looks but then I also kind of hate it. I feel like there is a lot of rock and the cave is really open and high, and I feel like it may be hard to get corals to grow on it? I saw an inspo photo I really liked (obviously not a beginner reef tank) but I will attach it just to show y’all ideas. Is it ok to put some brains and ricordia on the sand bed? Can the zoanthids be on the sand or should I lay down some gravel? Obviously I only have 8 and they have like 100 but I want to make sure I’m on the right track!

any tips on which corals or how to lay out my rocks again I would love! I don’t know any one else in the hobby personally so I’m coming to you guys!

1EC673D2-0D3E-408A-BC99-C60D5C293CED.jpeg

551AA26A-2A74-423B-B676-B328AD11EF10.png

Christopher Marks

I think you could simply remove the top rock that creates the arch and you'd still have an interesting aquascape. I try to consider where I'll have places to mount coral when creating an aquascape, you have a lot of steep rocks in yours, but if you're comfortable with gluing frags you can still make it work fine, it can be a neat look. If you were to rearrange more of your aquascape, consider giving yourself a little more space between the glass and the edges of your rocks, if only to make cleaning easier in the future. 

Your inspiration is a nano reef created by our community member @teenyreef! We featured his awesome IM 10gal nano in August 2016, you should check it out!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Christopher Marks said:

I think you could simply remove the top rock that creates the arch and you'd still have an interesting aquascape. I try to consider where I'll have places to mount coral when creating an aquascape, you have a lot of steep rocks in yours, but if you're comfortable with gluing frags you can still make it work fine, it can be a neat look. If you were to rearrange more of your aquascape, consider giving yourself a little more space between the glass and the edges of your rocks, if only to make cleaning easier in the future. 

Your inspiration is a nano reef created by our community member @teenyreef! We featured his awesome IM 10gal nano in August 2016, you should check it out!

Yep I actually did just that! I took the top rock off and then put a flat rock in its place! Here’s a pic (mind all the lights are off and corals are all closed up) but I think it’s gonna look much better. And wow! I had no clue that’s awesome! Just checked out his tank and saw all the angles, very awesome! Thanks so much for the help! 

EE3D4AA1-B61A-4102-9ADF-A8827090F80F.jpeg

• Like 2
Christopher Marks

Happy to help @Hunter Lang! I think you made the right choice for your changes to the aquascape, that should provide better options for placing coral. Many coral frags are sold on small rocks or rubble, so it's perfect to have more room available now on your sand bed, you'll find something to go there in time!

• Thanks 1

Wow, so cool (and humbling) to know my tank helped inspire you! It's definitely been through some ups and downs over the years. I'll be following along on your build to see how it comes out!

• Like 2
20 hours ago, teenyreef said:

Wow, so cool (and humbling) to know my tank helped inspire you! It's definitely been through some ups and downs over the years. I'll be following along on your build to see how it comes out!

So awesome to hear from you! And yes it definitely is the best IM nuvo tank I have seen on the internet! I even rearranged my rocks to look like it!😂  I actually do have a few questions, are your ricordias and zoanthids just sitting on the sand bed? Or did u lay down some pebbles for them? I have a ricordia on my sand bed right now and he seems to like it but I’m not sure which is best? Thanks so much for reaching out and hope to have my tank half as good as yours!

• Like 1

The ricordea are attached to rocks underneath. I've never been able to get one to stay put on the sand bed, they always curled up and floated away on me.

I use some clear fishing line to tie them to the rock. After a couple weeks they attach and then I cut the fishing line off.

The zoas are on rocks too. Eventually they cover them all up so you can't tell.

• Thanks 1