Coral Vue Hydros

Just got a clean up crew for my Biocube 32

antigonus

After around three weeks or so my tank cycled, ammonia and nitrites hit zero, nitrates spiked so I did a 75% water change the other day. 

As my tank was now covered with diatoms and green hair algae, I purchased a small clean up crew today, this was its composition.

x2 Scarlet hermit crabs

x2 Blue legged hermit crabs

x1 Trochus snail

x1 Cerith snail

x1 Emerald crab

I drip acclimated the hermits for around forty minutes, the emerald for an hours, and the snails for an hour and a half. So far the scarlet hermits have moved slowly on the sand eating detritus and algae, while the blue legs are much more active, moving around the tank and climbing up on the rock work. The cerith snail has mostly been crawling on one piece of rock, and the trochus was on the sand before moving up the  glass. 

I would have to say that the emerald crab is the most entertaining member of the CuC so far, its been climbing around the rock work, through caves and crevices eating hair algae like a beast. Interestingly enough it appears to be missing one claw.I know some people have problems with emeralds, but i'm very impressed with mine. 

Here are some pictures

Emerald crab .jpg

Cerith .JPG

Hermits .JPG

• Like 3
7 hours ago, seabass said:

Fun.  If you haven't already, get some extra shells (similar size and larger) for the hermits, otherwise they'll try on your snails' shells.

Oh yes, I'll definitely do that.

6 hours ago, banasophia said:

Congrats on getting your cleanup crew!!! And I love the pics. 🙂  I’m thinking for a 32 gallon Biocube you may benefit from even more snails... for recommendations on what kind and how many, you may want to check out Reef Cleaners:

https://www.reefcleaners.org/cleaner-packages-with-free-shipping

I think I probably will get more snails, I just wanted sort of a "sampler" pack initially. I actually asked for two more ceriths and a nassarius but my LFS was out of them. 

• Like 1