inTank Media Baskets

What is happening to my Acan?

El_Guapo0013

I got this Acan frag a few days ago. Everything was fine, it was eating and looked good. Suddenly this morning, I noticed a fleshy, bubble looking growth on it. It was tiny so I didn't worry much and figured I would look into it once I got home from work. Once I got home, it was now much bigger. I can see what looks like the coral skeleton in it, but O am not sure if that is new, or if it was part of an existing head, but I feel it was the latter as there was a head there before the bubble showed up. Anyone know what this is? Should I be concerned about possibly losing my Acan? Should I worry about this also affecting my other corals (Hollywood Stunner Chalice, Copper Pavona, Green Birdsnest, Neon Green Ricordea, GSP, Blastomussa Merlitti)?

20190110_183114.jpg

Could this be brown jelly disease? I'm not one hundred percent on that. Hopefully someone will chime in. Do some google on brown jelly in corals and compare to your acan. I could be completely wrong. Doesn't look healthy though. Good luck

Just looked through a few different forums with people with the same problem. Most people that had the issue said that it don't affect the coral, but others said that it makes it close up. However, people don't like to update their 'problem forums' much, so no end to the acan bubble story... which means no definative answer...

13 hours ago, El_Guapo0013 said:

I got this Acan frag a few days ago. Everything was fine, it was eating and looked good. Suddenly this morning, I noticed a fleshy, bubble looking growth on it. It was tiny so I didn't worry much and figured I would look into it once I got home from work. Once I got home, it was now much bigger. I can see what looks like the coral skeleton in it, but O am not sure if that is new, or if it was part of an existing head, but I feel it was the latter as there was a head there before the bubble showed up. Anyone know what this is? Should I be concerned about possibly losing my Acan? Should I worry about this also affecting my other corals (Hollywood Stunner Chalice, Copper Pavona, Green Birdsnest, Neon Green Ricordea, GSP, Blastomussa Merlitti)?

20190110_183114.jpg

It looks like brown jelly to me. If you have a turkey baster blast it to knock it off. 

-Dave

33 minutes ago, DaveFason said:

It looks like brown jelly to me. If you have a turkey baster blast it to knock it off. 

-Dave

I will have to try this once i get off of work today. Unfortunately, it looked worse this morning. I probably need to accept that I will probably lose this coral. Will also probably take it out of the tank and quarantine it to try to keep it from spreading to any of my other corals, especially my Blasto or Ricordea...who is now upside down under a rock.. One day I will get a ricordea to stick where I want it. One day....

Well....it spread to the remaining heads by the time I got home from work a little while ago. I had to pull it from the tank. I don't notice anything wrong with any of my other corals, but I am going to keep a close eye on them over the coming days. I plan to do a water change later tonight. I would do it now, but I have to go to something in a bit and won't be back for another two hours. Rest in peace little Acan.

• Sad 2