Cultivated Reef

Mini Tide Par Values

SaltyBuddha

@DaveFason

Are the values for the mini tide correct on the website?

It seems odd that the 12" readings would be higher than the 6" readings for the measurements?

https://www.marinedepot.com/Nano_Box_Reef_Mini_Tide_Plus_M_LED_Light_with_9_inch_Gooseneck_Black_LED_Light_Fixtures_for_Aquariums-Nano_Box_Reef_LLC-6X50963-FILTFILD-6X50963-vi.html

Capture.thumb.JPG.0d731e28de8e50838dec949df556d8ba.JPG

edit: maybe it has something to do with the optics?

The 12" readings are higher in the 2 outer sections due the light distribution. There is a significant decrease in the par value in the middle ring at 12" and 18". The light being placed only 6" from the sensor decreases the lights spread and the reason why there is a significant hotspot in the middle. At 12" the light distribution is more evenly disbursed. 

• Like 1

While the light cone may explain the lower PAR around the edge closer to the light source (just imagine a party hat, or a traffic cone).  It is interesting to note, however, that between the 6" from sensor and 18" from sensor, the only difference is the center reading.  ALL other values are the same... 

• Like 1

I made a lighting guide to help and one of the most important factors is light height. I do not use optics making this pretty crucial. 

A factor that most people forget is the reflection from the glass. This will increase PAR numbers on the front and sides on a majority of tanks. 

Lighting Guide :

Hope this helps!

• Like 1
3 hours ago, DaveFason said:

I made a lighting guide to help and one of the most important factors is light height. I do not use optics making this pretty crucial. 

A factor that most people forget is the reflection from the glass. This will increase PAR numbers on the front and sides on a majority of tanks. 

Lighting Guide :

Hope this helps!

I did not even think of light reflection. Makes sense. 

Thanks for the responses! 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, SaltyBuddha said:

I did not even think of light reflection. Makes sense. 

Thanks for the responses! 

For the original question and par mapping,

I think* that the "beam" of light is divergent. Meaning, it exits the sources and spreads out like a cone, so if the light is closer to the par meter, there hasn't been adequate distance for the beam to diverge the more intense light outward.  There is a sweet spot, as dave has mentioned, of where divergence is optimal for spread, before fall off of par starts to occur because of distance. The inverse square law applies. 

(*sorry, as I'm pulling this information from the radiation field)

• Like 1