Coral Vue Hydros

Clowning Around...

lhernandez86

So I've been out of the hobby for a while and super glad to the be back but have a general question for all. When did clown fish get so cheap? Platinum and almost every variation is SO cheap compared to the last time i was on here.....just curious people not care about them anymore??😮

I wouldn't call it cheap. But I do remember when I was younger and not able to afford a tank. Seeing some Picasso variant clowns in my LFS that has since closed. I'm not sure what grade they were. But I remember being astonished at their 199 dollar each price tag. Now a fish that looks exactly like what I remember seeing can be had for 40-70 bucks. 

15 minutes ago, ReefGoat said:

I wouldn't call it cheap. But I do remember when I was younger and not able to afford a tank. Seeing some Picasso variant clowns in my LFS that has since closed. I'm not sure what grade they were. But I remember being astonished at their 199 dollar each price tag. Now a fish that looks exactly like what I remember seeing can be had for 40-70 bucks. 

Yep def not cheap still but cheaper....I've seen them at 35 a pop locally....crazy compared to 5-6 years ago.

Chris's Fishes

There's one breeder that keeps the local market saturated around here - he breeds Ocellaris, True Percs, Maroons, Clarkii, and Pink Skunks. Not all at once, but he kinda rotates between various pairs and focuses in on them. 

Your normal False Perc will be around $15 here, and I've seen several Picasso, Onyx, and lightning Maroons for sale for between $30-40. It all depends on what the local market's like, and who's buying.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/10/2019 at 4:16 PM, lhernandez86 said:

So if these clowns are more common now what is the popular thing to buy as of now?

Still clowns? 😛

• Like 2

Most common in my area are the snowflakes and true onyx and even the lower grades run for 100+, but that's probably due to the asshat that runs one of my (not so local) lfs that breeds them

I ended up picking up a pair of True Perculas. Never been a big fan of all of the designer clowns, always though the wild caught Percs had the best color combo. (Orange, White, Black) One of my LFS doses new arrivals in copper and this specific pair had been sitting in the store since November so I felt pretty safe getting these wild caught specimens. 

• Like 1