Jump to content
Vlad1907

I need help identifying this

Recommended Posts

Im not sure what it is. It grew on the trochus snail shell.  I want to know if it's harmful or harmless.  I don't want it to be a parasite! Thank you guys!

20190110_002213.jpg

20190110_002219.jpg

20190110_002208.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Welcome to the community @Vlad1907!

 

This looks to be a harmless tube worm, sometimes called a feather duster. They are friendly reef inhabitants and common hitchhikers on snails, rocks, and coral.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post

Looks like a small feather duster worm. There harmless I have a ton in my tank. Non on my snails but there everywhere on my live rock. If you put something near it does it pull itself in extremely fast? If so then definitely a feather duster 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Brandonmw said:

Looks like a small feather duster worm. There harmless I have a ton in my tank. Non on my snails but there everywhere on my live rock. If you put something near it does it pull itself in extremely fast? If so then definitely a feather duster 

Yes they retract extremely fast . Good thing they are harmless.  They look really cool!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Hate to take over your thread, but how do I get one of those in my tank that I'm setting up

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, Dutchymomo said:

Hate to take over your thread, but how do I get one of those in my tank that I'm setting up

Well I got my snail from local fish store.  I assume they came with it . If you are in the area go to atlanta aquarium on pleasant hill road.  

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, Dutchymomo said:

Hate to take over your thread, but how do I get one of those in my tank that I'm setting up

They can come in snails as seen in the pics above. But generally all of mine have come from my live rock.

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Dutchymomo said:

Wow! I'm in Atlanta!!!! I'll probably check it out this weekend.

Wow that's crazy . Yea check them out.  They have a great selection.  And right off the exit 

Share this post


Link to post

The Fish Store is another good store they have a ton of healthy fish. Good to meet another reefer in Atl. 

Share this post


Link to post

I have some more questions about them.  Will they get off once they grow or they will continue to grow on snails.  Will they overwhelm the snail? Should I move it ? if so how to move without hurting it any of them ? @Christopher Marks @Brandonmw

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, Dutchymomo said:

The Fish Store is another good store they have a ton of healthy fish. Good to meet another reefer in Atl. 

I will definitely check them . Same here ! 

Share this post


Link to post
42 minutes ago, Brandonmw said:

Looks like a small feather duster worm. There harmless I have a ton in my tank. Non on my snails but there everywhere on my live rock. If you put something near it does it pull itself in extremely fast? If so then definitely a feather duster 

I have some more questions about them.  Will they get off once they grow or they will continue to grow on snails.  Will they overwhelm the snail? Should I move it ? if so how to move without hurting it any of them ?

Share this post


Link to post
12 minutes ago, Vlad1907 said:

I have some more questions about them.  Will they get off once they grow or they will continue to grow on snails.  Will they overwhelm the snail? Should I move it ? if so how to move without hurting it any of them ?

I wouldnt try to move it off the snail, they are pretty fragile and if you do so it will most likely die. As for size from your pic that’s about as big as its really going to get for that type of feather duster. Both your snail and the duster will be fine together. And if something happens to the snail just leave the shell in that tank and the duster will be fine. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, Brandonmw said:

I wouldnt try to move it off the snail, they are pretty fragile and if you do so it will most likely die. As for size from your pic that’s about as big as its really going to get for that type of feather duster. Both your snail and the duster will be fine together. And if something happens to the snail just leave the shell in that tank and the duster will be fine. 

Aweesoommee.  Thank you so much ! Great help!

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recommended Discussions

×