Jump to content
WoodstockReefer

My timeline that went BERZERK

Recommended Posts

November 15th

Picked up Biocube 16 from layaway.

Bought instant ocean and made saltwater using tap water. 😡 paid for that mistake

Tank began cycle after adding frozen shrimp to let rot..

2-3 weeks of impatience led to hermit crabs being introduced. RIP hermit crabs.

Early December.

Frustration built and corals began being bought along with clownfish.

Late December.

Bad diatoms or Dinos(wasnt sure which) took over tank. Unsightly. Finally figured out LED timing settings. Water temp was 78°. Read way too many different opinions from other reefers and mixed a collection of differant chemicals as a hopeful cure all.

Took sample of water to LFS to have it sampled. Very knowledgable manager said tank was established. 

 

Read somewhere(of course) that hydrogen peroxide can kill bad algae...if measured properly. Didnt understand the extremely confusing dosages and overdosed my tank. Killed bad algae...and everything else except the corals miraculously. Fiance's tank is keeping the corals alive and healthy.

 

Early January.

Nearly gave up. But decided to remove water, sand, rock, filter, biomedia and bought all new of everything. 

January 4th

Put new items into tank and let it run. Have put zero chemicals in tank but live sand has alot of bacteria as said on bag. 

 

Now that i have basically reset the whole thing i would like to ask what yall would advise my next move. I wanna figure this out and learn the hobby. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
25 minutes ago, WoodstockReefer said:

November 15th

Picked up Biocube 16 from layaway.

Bought instant ocean and made saltwater using tap water. 😡 paid for that mistake

Tank began cycle after adding frozen shrimp to let rot..

2-3 weeks of impatience led to hermit crabs being introduced. RIP hermit crabs.

Early December.

Frustration built and corals began being bought along with clownfish.

Late December.

Bad diatoms or Dinos(wasnt sure which) took over tank. Unsightly. Finally figured out LED timing settings. Water temp was 78°. Read way too many different opinions from other reefers and mixed a collection of differant chemicals as a hopeful cure all.

Took sample of water to LFS to have it sampled. Very knowledgable manager said tank was established. 

 

Read somewhere(of course) that hydrogen peroxide can kill bad algae...if measured properly. Didnt understand the extremely confusing dosages and overdosed my tank. Killed bad algae...and everything else except the corals miraculously. Fiance's tank is keeping the corals alive and healthy.

 

Early January.

Nearly gave up. But decided to remove water, sand, rock, filter, biomedia and bought all new of everything. 

January 4th

Put new items into tank and let it run. Have put zero chemicals in tank but live sand has alot of bacteria as said on bag. 

 

Now that i have basically reset the whole thing i would like to ask what yall would advise my next move. I wanna figure this out and learn the hobby. 

 

Research. That’s the next move. Particularly the Nitrogen Cycle.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

And welcome to NR....... just saw it was your first post. 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

And welcome to NR....... just saw it was your first post. 🙂

Yes. I figured this forum post seems to have the most members and valuable discussion so i decided to join on. So thanks ya👍

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

What kind of rock did you use on Jan. 4th? Also do you have test kits? You are probably going to need to complete another cycle.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I chose the purple rock. I believe its called fiji. Dry live.

The kit is the ATI saltwater test kit. I was advised the ATI kit sucks when asking the LFS manager. He recommended the red sea tester but i dont need it just yet. I plan on getting one though. It looks like a kaleidoscope

Edited by WoodstockReefer
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Ati kits will work to test for a cycle. And since you used dry rock you are going to need to recycle your tank. I would recommend using either pure ammonia or dr. Tim's ammonium chloride to dose the tank to start the cycle. Using one of those products allows you to dose to a known concentration. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Slim64684 said:

Ati kits will work to test for a cycle. And since you used dry rock you are going to need to recycle your tank. I would recommend using either pure ammonia or dr. Tim's ammonium chloride to dose the tank to start the cycle. Using one of those products allows you to dose to a known concentration. 

Would you recommend dr tims over a raw shrimp?

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, WoodstockReefer said:

Would you recommend dr tims over a raw shrimp?

Absolutely. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

And as far as asking what to do now. WAIT and be patient. My tank is almost 4 months old and is just now starting to go through the ugly stage it was gorgeous all the way up until then. I'm doing constant clean up and letting the CUC do what I cant get to. Changing out floss everyday and upping water changes to power through it. I'm SOOOOO happy I didn't pack this thing with expensive coral in month 2 and 3 because I'd be way more freaked out right now. I only have 4 pieces of montipora in the tank right now and two fish. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Welcome.

 

The first piece of advise

 

Research, then research more.

Nitrogen cycle, lighting, reef chemistry, corals, maintenance.

Knowledge is the key to success.

Research actual articles not just on forums.

 

Be patient and don't rush things.

 

Anything you read, research it.

 

There are bandaids and treatment methods, all should be fully researched and done properly...like peroxide treatments.

 

Go through journals, get an idea of what others do(the common methods that work)

 

The rock you used, its dry rock(live is different than dry rock)

Api test kits are fine for cycling(ammonia and nitrite)

 

All else salifert, hanna, or red sea(I prefer salifert or hanna)

 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Clown79 said:

Welcome.

 

The first piece of advise

 

Research, then research more.

Nitrogen cycle, lighting, reef chemistry, corals, maintenance.

Knowledge is the key to success.

Research actual articles not just on forums.

 

Be patient and don't rush things.

 

Anything you read, research it.

 

There are bandaids and treatment methods, all should be fully researched and done properly...like peroxide treatments.

 

Go through journals, get an idea of what others do(the common methods that work)

 

The rock you used, its dry rock(live is different than dry rock)

Api test kits are fine for cycling(ammonia and nitrite)

 

All else salifert, hanna, or red sea(I prefer salifert or hanna)

 

Thats some good advice man

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, ReefGoat said:

And as far as asking what to do now. WAIT and be patient. My tank is almost 4 months old and is just now starting to go through the ugly stage it was gorgeous all the way up until then. I'm doing constant clean up and letting the CUC do what I cant get to. Changing out floss everyday and upping water changes to power through it. I'm SOOOOO happy I didn't pack this thing with expensive coral in month 2 and 3 because I'd be way more freaked out right now. I only have 4 pieces of montipora in the tank right now and two fish. 

Yea the patience is the hardest part. It was cycled and the peroxide killed everything 

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, WoodstockReefer said:

Yea the patience is the hardest part. It was cycled and the peroxide killed everything 

Just don't look at the tank for the next 4 weeks.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
38 minutes ago, WoodstockReefer said:

Thats some good advice man

That's some good advice "girl" 😉

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Weikel said:

That's some good advice "girl" 😉

Lol. Yuppers I'm a girl but it's all good😉

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
22 minutes ago, WoodstockReefer said:

Im gonna figure it out yall. But when i have questions im coming to yall. Im interested in dr tims

Definitely ask questions, no question is stupid.

Share this post


Link to post

Dive in and share your thoughts!

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recommended Discussions

×