ReefCleaners.org

Waterbox vs FijiCube

Rhys

So I finally started my second reef tank and I’m pretty dissatisfied with tanks overall build and process. I’d like to upgrade from my 7g Lifegard full-view to something a little more high quality within the 10g area and these are the two tanks I’ve found. I’ve heard both have transparent back walls allowing lights from ATO’s and heater to be visible in the display. Is this true? Also, what do you guys think of either? Is it worth it to get either and are there any other options out there for a 10g-ish nano? (Besides the nuvo 10)

5BF8613F-2C11-4446-B299-FA63C99F8332.jpeg

I have the WaterBox 20 and the rear wall is not fully opaque. That’s true. It’s not as bad as I first thought, when the tank was empty, but your the ambient room light and your light position and the equipment itself will all determine how annoying it’s going to be. The clear acrylic hanger from my skimmer shows the most because it reflects the light from my display. My heater and return pump and an IM desktop reactor are all completely invisible. I did rotate my heater so the LED indicator faces back.

As far as quality, I think the WaterBox is good, but far from perfect. I had to clean up some random silicone “drips” from about 8-10 places on all the glass. Nothing 10 seconds and a razor blade couldn’t handle. Also the tanks leveling mat is annoying too small, so plan on buying another. This is true for all the WB tanks Ive seen in the cube series.

Overall I’m really happy with the tank. In the past I’ve had Mr. Aqua rimless tanks and the starfire on these and the seams exceed the build quality I expected for the price.

• Like 1

I just bought a Nuvo 30L was going to go with the Waterbox frag 28 but the glass sump was the deal breaker. Hard to say what is the best option...really comes down to money, and what your looking to do.

21 minutes ago, Jaag said:

OP, why do you not like your full-view? 

Have you look at the EVO 13 or the JBJ desktop? They are both all in ones. 

I had thought of the Evo as a neat tank but I would scrap most of the included equipment and i found it to just be better off for people who don't want to do many upgrades. I dislike the Full-View due to the very cheap feeling build quality for almost the entire tank. The gluing is "good enough". the back panel is a pretty cheap feeling plastic, and there are quite a few "extra" features along the back wall that are unsightly and don't work very well. Another con for the full view is a lack of filtration support. The original sponges and media aren't well suited for reef tanks and there are no prefabricated media baskets available. This tank would be an excellent project if you were to want to make a media basket and overlook these pretty minimal cons. I find this tank to be an eye catcher and it's definitely a cool one, but it requires a bit of modification and planning. Hopefully this answers your questions. I'm currently going to school so I don't have much time to modify a tank with a general idea of just a lower maintenance tank. 

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, Lhernandez8615 said:

I just bought a Nuvo 30L was going to go with the Waterbox frag 28 but the glass sump was the deal breaker. Hard to say what is the best option...really comes down to money, and what your looking to do.

I'm mostly just wanting a nice looking display tank for while I'm in college and unable to keep a large setup. I'd prefer something that can host a mixed reef. Money isn't really an issue with buying the tank at this point since I've got most of my supplies in my current tank. 

2 minutes ago, Lhernandez8615 said:

Gotcha makes sense....have you considered an ADA tank?

I think their tanks are beautiful, but do they have any AIO systems? I'd rather not see my equipment lol.

Yea they are sweet man....I had bought one drilled a few years back and wish I never sold it. Agree on the equipment....another good option would be a CAD Lights zen AIO tank

8 minutes ago, Lhernandez8615 said:

Yea they are sweet man....I had bought one drilled a few years back and wish I never sold it. Agree on the equipment....another good option would be a CAD Lights zen AIO tank

The ADA tanks are really catching my eye but drilling them is another story 🙄. Do you have any idea for hiding filter storage? I don't have the room for a sump atm.

4 hours ago, Rhys said:

I'm mostly just wanting a nice looking display tank for while I'm in college and unable to keep a large setup. I'd prefer something that can host a mixed reef. Money isn't really an issue with buying the tank at this point since I've got most of my supplies in my current tank. 

Honestly, for what you're looking for, I'd suggest the IM10. I know it's immensely popular right now, but the good thing is that there are tons of readily available accessories for it, so modifying it to suit your needs would be pretty straightforward. I have the IM14 peninsula, which is about 5 inches longer. It's a very nice looking tank (both the 10 and the 14), and the 10 would be pretty easy to transport if needed for school breaks and such.

You could get the tank, media basket, heater, and maybe upgrade the pump if needed, get some live rock and a light and you're ready to go (actually, if that's the Hipergaro or a similar light on your current tank, you probably could even use that). Any other accessories could be added on as you go, when you find you need them. 

Yea....I'd agree CADLights will be harder to find and you can find a good deal on one typically. Plenty more ways to modify on ton of what is list above but good tanks over all as well. I just got a 30L... I

Yea....I'd agree CADLights will be harder to find and you can find a good deal on one typically. Plenty more ways to modify on ton of what is list above but good tanks over all as well. I just got a 30L... I

47 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

Honestly, for what you're looking for, I'd suggest the IM10. I know it's immensely popular right now, but the good thing is that there are tons of readily available accessories for it, so modifying it to suit your needs would be pretty straightforward. I have the IM14 peninsula, which is about 5 inches longer. It's a very nice looking tank (both the 10 and the 14), and the 10 would be pretty easy to transport if needed for school breaks and such.

You could get the tank, media basket, heater, and maybe upgrade the pump if needed, get some live rock and a light and you're ready to go (actually, if that's the Hipergaro or a similar light on your current tank, you probably could even use that). Any other accessories could be added on as you go, when you find you need them. 

I’ve got a full setup already, I’m just kinda dissatisfied lol. The IM10 has always been something I’m on and off with. Sometimes it looks good and sometimes it seems blah. I might need to just wait and use this tank until I find something. Maybe a build thread? This current tanks almost finished cycling 🙂

7 hours ago, Rhys said:

I’ve got a full setup already, I’m just kinda dissatisfied lol. The IM10 has always been something I’m on and off with. Sometimes it looks good and sometimes it seems blah. I might need to just wait and use this tank until I find something. Maybe a build thread? This current tanks almost finished cycling 🙂

I've been the same with it lol.  I prefer wider tanks to tall but the small footprint can't be beat and sometimes I see one and I'm like, ok THAT is nice, I want!  Is the Full View aquarium just now finishing cycling?  If so, I would give it a bit of time and get some livestock in there and see if the things that bothered you still do.