SaltCritters.com

Coral skeleton ID

jcrisman2009

jcrisman2009

Ok guys and gals,

I bought this nice coral skeleton off ebay and as far as I know of its in the acropora family but i'd like to know exactly it's full scientific name. Any help would be Very much appreciated!

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600.jpg

jcrisman2009
6 minutes ago, paulsz said:

I have very, very little experience with SPS. But if I had to guess, i'd say Green Slimer

I think you're right! Oh wow! It's so pretty! looks like its radioactive! Thank you paulsz!

• Like 1

Yeah it is pretty cool! And from what i've heard, it's one of the easier acroporas to care for. Definitely something i will look into when i put SPS in my tank

• Like 1
jcrisman2009
23 minutes ago, paulsz said:

Yeah it is pretty cool! And from what i've heard, it's one of the easier acroporas to care for. Definitely something i will look into when i put SPS in my tank

So it's Acropora Yongei. In nature it's Uniform cream, yellow or pale brown but in aquacultured it's green.....How do they make them be green??? Do they take two separate corals and cross them?? Like a hybrid?

0081_C1_03.jpg

It could be any acro. They lose all color when they die. There are many many many different variations in species of acropora. If you don't have a microscope to look at the skeleton or don't analyze any DNA, you can't get a positive ID. You can't breed hybrid acros. Almost all coral breeding is impossible right now in aquariums. All their colors are what they were when they were in wild (though some will change color under different lighting).

jcrisman2009
1 hour ago, Joevember said:

It could be any acro. They lose all color when they die. There are many many many different variations in species of acropora. If you don't have a microscope to look at the skeleton or don't analyze any DNA, you can't get a positive ID. You can't breed hybrid acros. Almost all coral breeding is impossible right now in aquariums. All their colors are what they were when they were in wild (though some will change color under different lighting).

I do know what acropora it's not though! it's not A. Cervicornis or A. Palmata and thank god too! those two are critically endangered according to the IUCN redlist.