ReefCleaners.org

I almost set myself on fire with an AI Prime

Ckane2

Sharing this story so that other rookie reefers might avoid the mistake I made..

Excited to have purchased my new AI Prime HD I was playing around with the settings with the light in my lap, what I did not know is that when you mess with the settings the light itself is actually on, but I couldn’t see this since the light was facing down into my sweat pants. After a couple minutes I smelled smoke and thought maybe my light had malfunctioned or the fan wasn’t working. It wasn’t until an hour later I noticed the burn holes through my pants in a very specific pattern matching the LED’s on the light. Lesson learned, don’t leave the puck face down on anything because it can in fact start a fire. Waiting for a new lens for my light and a mount until I play with the settings again!!! 

• Haha 7
  • Wow 3
8 minutes ago, Ckane2 said:

Sharing this story so that other rookie reefers might avoid the mistake I made..

Excited to have purchased my new AI Prime HD I was playing around with the settings with the light in my lap, what I did not know is that when you mess with the settings the light itself is actually on, but I couldn’t see this since the light was facing down into my sweat pants. After a couple minutes I smelled smoke and thought maybe my light had malfunctioned or the fan wasn’t working. It wasn’t until an hour later I noticed the burn holes through my pants in a very specific pattern matching the LED’s on the light. Lesson learned, don’t leave the puck face down on anything because it can in fact start a fire. Waiting for a new lens for my light and a mount until I play with the settings again!!! 

I left some marks on the box LED pattern when I first turned them on for 100% all channels.  Same story, light faced down on top of the box, smelled weird, yada yada.  no fire.

• Like 1
  • Wow 2
10 minutes ago, TILTON said:

You didn’t feel your legs heating up?  🤔

Surprisingly no I did not.. I’m sure if it had been on any longer I would’ve started to feel something burning 

• Wow 1
Marine Depot

cNoP3pNAXjh3NtLE1ZxskTp_1Bs0WB2Wcf982LPI

We did something similar here in the office a few years back. Burned two holes into a couch in our break room with the Kessil AP700.

Jeff @ Marine Depot

• Like 2
  • Haha 5
  • Wow 1

Fortunately for me, when I got my AI Hydra 26HDs for my 90 gallon, I tested them out by setting them on the counter and then aiming the lights out into my living room.  Turned a totally dark 30 foot area into Daylight at max intensity with just one of them.  I can't imagine powering up the light at all with the pucks in direct contact with something other than air.  

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

Did the same thing here. I was wearing a black shirt and burned 16 little holes. It melted a bit of the diffusion cover too. scared me a bit. Trying to contact AI now to get a new diffusion cover

I did the same with a new AI prime light. Had it sitting light down on my wood desk while I was matching the light settings to my old light. Didn't know how hot it got until I started to smell the burning. 

On 1/9/2019 at 9:14 AM, Ckane2 said:

First time I plugged in my Radion Pros I did the same thing, but they were on the cushion of my couch. Prefect little holes burned straight through. My beagle also was drawn to the burning couch smell and chewed the burned area out. That was a $500 mistake - luckily they were still making the cushions or it would have been a lot more!

Huh, didn't know they could do that. Good to know for potential future use. 

I swear I've felt the underside of a running Prime, and it didn't seem hot. I guess it builds up if you put it against things. 

• 9 months later...

Adding myself to the list of those who burnt stuff. Burnt a hole through my comforter and melted the lens while updating. Thankfully it didn’t ruin the light and it’ll work until the new lens comes in 😅