Ckane2

I almost set myself on fire with an AI Prime

Sharing this story so that other rookie reefers might avoid the mistake I made..

Excited to have purchased my new AI Prime HD I was playing around with the settings with the light in my lap, what I did not know is that when you mess with the settings the light itself is actually on, but I couldn’t see this since the light was facing down into my sweat pants. After a couple minutes I smelled smoke and thought maybe my light had malfunctioned or the fan wasn’t working. It wasn’t until an hour later I noticed the burn holes through my pants in a very specific pattern matching the LED’s on the light. Lesson learned, don’t leave the puck face down on anything because it can in fact start a fire. Waiting for a new lens for my light and a mount until I play with the settings again!!! 

• Haha 3
  • Wow 3

You didn’t feel your legs heating up?  🤔

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ckane2 said:

Sharing this story so that other rookie reefers might avoid the mistake I made..

Excited to have purchased my new AI Prime HD I was playing around with the settings with the light in my lap, what I did not know is that when you mess with the settings the light itself is actually on, but I couldn’t see this since the light was facing down into my sweat pants. After a couple minutes I smelled smoke and thought maybe my light had malfunctioned or the fan wasn’t working. It wasn’t until an hour later I noticed the burn holes through my pants in a very specific pattern matching the LED’s on the light. Lesson learned, don’t leave the puck face down on anything because it can in fact start a fire. Waiting for a new lens for my light and a mount until I play with the settings again!!! 

I left some marks on the box LED pattern when I first turned them on for 100% all channels.  Same story, light faced down on top of the box, smelled weird, yada yada.  no fire.

• Like 1
  • Wow 2

10 minutes ago, TILTON said:

You didn’t feel your legs heating up?  🤔

Surprisingly no I did not.. I’m sure if it had been on any longer I would’ve started to feel something burning 

• Wow 1

My hubby burned holes in his desk chair with the Ai the first time he fiddled with it.

• Haha 1
  • Wow 2

cNoP3pNAXjh3NtLE1ZxskTp_1Bs0WB2Wcf982LPI

We did something similar here in the office a few years back. Burned two holes into a couch in our break room with the Kessil AP700.

Jeff @ Marine Depot

• Like 2
  • Haha 4
  • Wow 1

Love the AP700 pic. 

Makes it easier to see why it is so easy to bleach coral with a high powered LED. 

• Like 1

Glad you're ok, OP lol.  Also glad I didn't burn holes in anything when fiddling with mine for the first time!

• Like 1

It is winter after all. Gotta do what you gotta do, in order to stay warm.

#StayToasty

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Fortunately for me, when I got my AI Hydra 26HDs for my 90 gallon, I tested them out by setting them on the counter and then aiming the lights out into my living room.  Turned a totally dark 30 foot area into Daylight at max intensity with just one of them.  I can't imagine powering up the light at all with the pucks in direct contact with something other than air.  

• Like 1

Dive in and share your thoughts!

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recommended Discussions