Pod Your Reef

New reefer and new tank need advice

Nick13

10 hours ago, Nick13 said:

About how high do i want to mount the hydra 26 above the tank to get the best results.

8-10" is about the average, some do higher, some a little lower.

Answers vary.

• Like 1

Well good news new tank is on the way from live aquaria and as a bonus I get to keep the old one not sure what I'm going to do with it now but i at least have a back up pump and filter socks. The rest of my equipment is on the way too so i should be able to get set up soon. Got the stand built today too let me know what you guys think.

IMG_20190112_181346.jpg

IMG_20190112_202033.jpg

IMG_20190112_202040.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks guys I'm no master carpenter but i thought it turned out ok, and I think it should hold the weight. Can't wait for the rest of it to show up now! On a side note anyone have any idea what to do with the other tank, I hate to just smash it up and throw it away but I don't think I'd trust it to hold water either.

3 minutes ago, Nick13 said:

Thanks guys I'm no master carpenter but i thought it turned out ok, and I think it should hold the weight. Can't wait for the rest of it to show up now! On a side note anyone have any idea what to do with the other tank, I hate to just smash it up and throw it away but I don't think I'd trust it to hold water either.

How bad is the chip? I have chips on the top of my 10g and it's been fine.

Can you take pics from other angles?

new tank finally showed up! plus all the other equipment. Got everything set up and a rough aquascape let me know what you guys think. Also anyone have any good settings for the hydra 26 and does turning on lunar mode automatically kick on moon lights according to the moon phase near me? Will be getting water and a few pieces of live rock from my lfs this weekend to get the tank cycling! 

IMG_20190115_200512.jpg

IMG_20190117_182211.jpg

IMG_20190117_182220.jpg

IMG_20190117_182227.jpg

• Like 4

Here are some updated pics with water added and things up and running. Let me know what you guys think of the aquascape! Currently running Saxby's light settings on the hydra 26. Also unsure of the aqamai wave maker, not sure if it will have enough flow but I guess we'll see! Should I be running the carbon and gfo that came  with the IM caddy yet, or wait for live stock?

IMG_20190121_190956.jpg

IMG_20190121_191009.jpg

IMG_20190121_191026.jpg

On 1/17/2019 at 8:40 PM, Nick13 said:

new tank finally showed up! plus all the other equipment. Got everything set up and a rough aquascape let me know what you guys think. Also anyone have any good settings for the hydra 26 and does turning on lunar mode automatically kick on moon lights according to the moon phase near me? Will be getting water and a few pieces of live rock from my lfs this weekend to get the tank cycling! 

IMG_20190115_200512.jpg

IMG_20190117_182211.jpg

IMG_20190117_182220.jpg

IMG_20190117_182227.jpg

Love the aquascape.

There are some really good signature settings on Ai's site with the pics of the tanks owners.

I am acclimating right now to a new one to the Ab+ percentages while using David saxby's settings with a little customization.

The lunar light does follow the moon phases in your area. So every night it will be different 

I run mine from 10pm -2am 5-1%.

So full moon is 5%, half would be around 3%, quarter moon 1%

I've always run carbon during my cycles but I have never dosed ammonia for a cycle. If I was dosing ammonia and bacteria, I would not use anything but filter floss.

Gfo should only be used as needed because if you have no phos issues, it will remove any available phos the corals may need.

• Like 1

Sure it’s cracked. Looks like it might be some a drip of silicone or something. My Fluval had something similar that I thought was a crack and I ended up being able to scrape it off.