Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Is my Tank finished cycling? if so, now what?

antigonus

My ammonia has been a 0.0 for the past two days, and this morning my nitrites were also 0.0. Of course nitrates were sky high so I did a 75% water change, and lowered it to 10-15. My pH is at 8.2. 

Does it seem like my tank is done cycling? 

If it is, this may be a stupid question ,but do I have a certain amount of time to add livestock before the nitrifying bacteria start to die off? 

3 hours ago, antigonus said:

My ammonia has been a 0.0 for the past two days, and this morning my nitrites were also 0.0. Of course nitrates were sky high so I did a 75% water change, and lowered it to 10-15. My pH is at 8.2. 

Does it seem like my tank is done cycling? 

If it is, this may be a stupid question ,but do I have a certain amount of time to add livestock before the nitrifying bacteria start to die off? 

Just to refresh the memory, how did you cycle the tank and was it dry rock or live?

By the numbers, it appears your cycle is complete

Bacteria won't die off, unless you take out the rocks, let them dry, bacteris will go dormant but not for a while.

I normally add a few hermits and snails 2 weeks after cycling my tanks. Gives life to the tank and hermits are fun. Love my scarlets. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Time for lights on if you havent been running them. You need to start algae growth for the cuc, especially snails but hermits too. Per Clown, 2 weeks is a good time span once ur cycle’s complete. Go slow now. Don’t over load the tank too quickly.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Clown79 said:

Just to refresh the memory, how did you cycle the tank and was it dry rock or live?

By the numbers, it appears your cycle is complete

Bacteria won't die off, unless you take out the rocks, let them dry, bacteris will go dormant but not for a while.

I normally add a few hermits and snails 2 weeks after cycling my tanks. Gives life to the tank and hermits are fun. Love my scarlets. 

I used around twenty pounds of dry rock and ten pounds of live rock.                                                   I think I'll add a few hermits and snails as well in the next day or two. 

3 hours ago, Oldsalt01 said:

Time for lights on if you havent been running them. You need to start algae growth for the cuc, especially snails but hermits too. Per Clown, 2 weeks is a good time span once ur cycle’s complete. Go slow now. Don’t over load the tank too quickly.

Of course, I was thinking of adding a small CuC then waiting a week or two before getting the first fish.