Cultivated Reef

Firefish & Royal gramma?

freakinhippie

Are Royal grammas aggresive towards firefish? Because i just bought a firefish with perfect fins and i watched their behavior towards each other, and the royal gramma showed no signs of aggresion. Now i look again and the firefish's fins looked nipped. Any ideas?

If the royal gramma was in there for a very long time by itself, it could have become a little territorial

but rarely does it get to the point that it nips fins. Most of the time they just open their mouthes real big to intimidate

Originally posted by el pez

royal gramma's do not like fish that look like their kind.  royal gramma's get terretorial.  i would not recommend the two living together in a 34gal tank

How bout a 40 gallon?

Originally posted by obarrera

How bout a 40 gallon?

is the 40 gallon in question a 3 foot or 4 foot long tank? that makes a lot of difference.

but more important is how much LR you have with caves and crevace's to hide in. firefish like to have a little hole they can hide in and my royal gramma always slept in this one cave. if the two of them have alot of hiding spots they might just ignore each other.

When I added a firefish to my 7 Gal tank, my Royal Gramma went on the attack! The following morning, I found a a few pieces of shredded firefish caught in the filter.

I placed a Firefish in my 20 with a royal gramma in it and never had a problem. The Royal had been there for about 3 weeks before the firefish came in. Firefish are real cute too.

yeah same here my royal gramma Genghis who has been established in the tank for 3 weeks, was aggressive at first at the arrival of my firefish, Flick but he didnt nip him... after 2 days of initial aggression they are now living together peacefully... of course its a overlord and vassal realtionship coz Flick only eats the food near the lower tank levels where Genghis and my two percs Nemo and Marlin are at the top at feeding time...

I disagree with a previous poster. A 30-40 gallon tank is huge compared to what we often see at this site. I have seen several people with grammas and firefish in the same tank. My money is on the arrow crab. Keep in mind that the firefish finds a bolt hole or escape home quickly after entering your tank. Once scared into this hole, or when sleeping, this fish will not move for any reason. THis includes if he is being eaten. There is plenty of evidence of green stars eating firefish inside there bolt hole and although the firefish has the opportunity to leave, he wont leave his safe hole. Also, firefish are carpet surfers or jumpers. Make sure your tank has a complete hood, with no holes. Had a small hole in my glass top where my filter tube entered the tank. Somehow the bastard fish found the hole and ended up on the side of the tank on the stand. Needless to say, I found him the next day all dried up. Keep an eye on him.

Archived