Cultivated Reef

Fluval Edge 6 Gallon - Day one

RemoGaggi

I've been out of the hobby for nearly 30 years, but recently got interested again.  A lot has changed since 1989-1990, but I've been reading and researching as much as I can.  Thanks to all of you for all the informative posts.  I've been going back and forth about starting with a Fluval Evo 13.5, then a IM Fusion 20, but wasn't really sure.  I then came across a Fluval Edge 6 gallon for $15 on CL.  It's new in the box, but the top has a hairline crack in it - I can live with that for $15.  (My wife hasn't even noticed it)

I tested the tank for leaks and picked up 6lbs of cured live rock from the LFS.  I also got about 8lbs crushed coral.  It ended up taking about 5.5lbs of saltwater and I got it up and running.  I plan on running it stock for now and then upgrade the lights and then tweak what I run in the filter.  I'm trying to not let the budget get out of hand so I was looking at the Hipargero Led on Amazon -https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0727V8C5Q/?coliid=I2JXQVNYZSXDPZ&colid=2CBGR1EF62AM&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

As for what to run in the filter, I've read many run chemi pure.  

I'm open to any and all suggestions.  Thanks to everyone in advance!

IMG_20190108_162656235.jpg

• Like 2
Christopher Marks

Welcome to the community @RemoGaggi, and welcome back to the hobby! 😊

I always like seeing nano reefs in these Fluval Edge tanks, they have such a unique look. They have with some modification challenges due to the glass top opening, but there have been a number of clever solutions over the past few years. Have you searched for other Fluval Edge journals here for inspiration? I'll see if I can find a few I like! Fitting a light into the stock enclosure is tough, light coverage ends up limited to the center, but by the looks of it you're already planning to remove the stock light housing to mount the HIPARGERO light? Sounds cool!

• Thanks 1

Welcome! 🙂. Nice landscape! 

Typically I don’t use just crushed coral, it traps detritus and is hard for me to keep clean in the long term—I try to mix a variety of sized substrates, but mostly fine-medium grains, just a slight touch of bigger here and there.

Look forward to your build, I left for 10 years and came back, some things are so different now and some stayed the same lol. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Day 3 - I received my Hydo Nano 240 and Hypargero LED.  I also picked up a couple more small pieces of rock to add.  So far, with the help of the folks here, I've discovered I have a couple of hitchhikers.  A brittle star and 2 peanut worms.  I'm told they are good HH, so I'm happy about that.  I installed the Hydor and my new light.  I removed the stock light (6 screws) and loosely mounted the LED base on the back lip of the black plastic that hides the cords.  It's not super tight because the angle of the base hits the back of the filter, but it works fine.  I might do something about it later if it becomes an issue, but I don't think it will.  The tank looks so much better now.  Now for some water testing...

IMG_20190110_175851146.jpg

IMG_20190110_175922309.jpg

• Like 2