Cultivated Reef

LuxeonStar.com

Reefkid88

It would end up more than $15 per board! You could just buy the LEDs and some aluminum and make the same thing for soooooooo much cheaper! How dare they make any profit!

(Sarcasm)

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Reefkid88 said:

Anyone used this site for Luxeon's ? @jedimasterben @DaveFason @Horerczy @MeepNand @farkwar anyone ? Its pretty cool. Arrays can get expensive,but I just found this site this morning. 

I thought these were pretty cool:

https://www.luxeonstar.com/saber-z4-luxeon-z-20mm-square-color-mixing-array

I used them in the beginning to test a few colors out. He's a nice guy but the boards are pricey and they are in Canada. Shipping can get expensive too. 

By all means don't take this the wrong way. I know you like to DIY, etc. If it were me and I wanted to DIY I would simply buy a pre-made board from Rapid, Steves, myself or any other reputable company that has been making kits for tanks for some time. Plus if you went with the Z boards it would take a ton of them to properly light even a small tank. 

-D

• Like 1

I had seen that,and the lux uv's are definitely pricey as hell that's for sure. Which the 4up doesn't get bad until you add violets. 

I have just talking with Theatrus and was browsing sites and was like oh schanppps that are nifty !!! 

But as you know,I'm using 2 11up's atm,but kinda trying to find something to load out for a tinyyy pico 😉 . Do you think 1 neutral,2 royals and 1 415nm would be terrible on say a 6" cube ? 

1 hour ago, HarryPotter said:

It would end up more than $15 per board! You could just buy the LEDs and some aluminum and make the same thing for soooooooo much cheaper! How dare they make any profit!

(Sarcasm)

Just something new and different. But for a pico,I don't think 1 4 up would be terrible. But I do agree there are tons of arrays and leds for cheaper. 

jedimasterben
4 hours ago, Reefkid88 said:

I had seen that,and the lux uv's are definitely pricey as hell that's for sure. Which the 4up doesn't get bad until you add violets. 

I have just talking with Theatrus and was browsing sites and was like oh schanppps that are nifty !!! 

But as you know,I'm using 2 11up's atm,but kinda trying to find something to load out for a tinyyy pico 😉 . Do you think 1 neutral,2 royals and 1 415nm would be terrible on say a 6" cube ? 

That's going to be about $40 by the time you get it shipped to you. Not a good deal at all.

If you can get past the cost its a good way to set up small batches of custom boards.

Honestly though the Luxeon uv leds are so expensive for so little gain when compared to current offerings of SemiLEDs and even ledgroupbuy's exotic violets (which I'm pretty sure are just good binned epileds) that I wouldn't bother. Especially since violet blends effortlessly.

I shall not dispute the cool factor.

Just don't feel thatbthe uv chips themselves are a good investment for the money. Would rather swap them out for cool blue, lime, or cyan myself and use seperate stars for violets with something like a Semileds N35L-U violet chip.

That's just me though.

• Like 1

That what I also thought too,1 violet chip on 3 sides would be good enough or even 2. 

LedSupply has 7up C's,but they are all NW,and you'd have to re-flow the other colors in.