Top Shelf Aquatics

DaveMc

So nothing new as of yet. Still waiting for the cycle on the tank to finish, did get some good news though. The new filter I ordered that had the broken impeller, I contacted Hagen about the issue and they have already shipped out a new impeller to me, should have it tomorrow. Was so easy dealing with them and they were on top of everything. Think this is why I stick with AquaClear products lol.

• Like 4

Went to do a parameters test today on my cycling 5.3g Pico tank. Realized that my test kit has expired! 😐 Uugghhh, now gotta buy a new kit before I can get accurate readings. Seems like it would be more cost effective to go with the Hannah testers from this point forward. 

3 hours ago, DaveMc said:

Went to do a parameters test today on my cycling 5.3g Pico tank. Realized that my test kit has expired! 😐 Uugghhh, now gotta buy a new kit before I can get accurate readings. Seems like it would be more cost effective to go with the Hannah testers from this point forward. 

How far out of date are they? Is it the API master test kit?

1 hour ago, Lula_Mae said:

How far out of date are they? Is it the API master test kit?

It's the API kit. Looks like it is about 1 year out of date. Was using Read Sea on my other tank but ran out and figured I would us the API unit I noticed that.

Just now, DeeCoy said:

I just started a 20 g nano, looks like you are about 10 days ahead of me.  🙂  Will be fun to follow along a similar aging setup.

Dee

That's awesome @DeeCoy. Will definitely be following along with yours as well. 😃

Dave

• Like 1

Well, everything is looking good. Seems cycle is over finally. All parameters are in line, just need to get a test kit for phosphates, I know I'm going to need it before its over. Now I really got to get thinking about what I am gonna put in first or if I want to go with a specific theme. My original idea's were...

• Zoa Garden with a GSP tree
  • RFA only tank with a few sexy shrimp
  • RFA and mini maxi carpets with sexy shrimp
  • Softy and LPS mix
  • Acan garden with GSP tree
  • Soft, LPS and Easy SPS mix

Just can't make up my mind. Not sure I want any fish in this one at all. Will have a small CUC though. There are just so many things I want, but can't decide lol. I know I can only get so much in a 5.5g tank, but I do have a 36g that I am gonna be completely redoing later down the road this year so I could always add some to it as well. 

What do you all think? 

4 minutes ago, Friendly said:

hey DMC, what lamp is that? it looks to have a longer than usual gooseneck!

Is this one here @Friendly

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CXTZN2Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The holder I got separately too, works really good and adjustable. It is this one...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B011RBD6YW/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I am really liking the light, nice shimmer to it and the blues look great I think.

Liking the looks of everything so far!  GSP will take off once it gets established.  At one point it seemed like I was fragging mine at least once a month!  Got all excited about "profiting" until I realized everyone has plenty so a few bucks here and there, but then for some reason mine stopped spreading.  Had it on back of glass even!  

I love idea of little GSP (palm like) tree!  It can be scraped off without too much trouble so as long as do you keep it from getting too thick of mat on the "truck" of your tree you should be able to contain it.  If not, just glue top off old one onto new piece.  

What size aquaclear are you using?  

Keep up the good work and post more pics!  

--Superdave

20 minutes ago, Superdave said:

Liking the looks of everything so far!  GSP will take off once it gets established.  At one point it seemed like I was fragging mine at least once a month!  Got all excited about "profiting" until I realized everyone has plenty so a few bucks here and there, but then for some reason mine stopped spreading.  Had it on back of glass even!  

I love idea of little GSP (palm like) tree!  It can be scraped off without too much trouble so as long as do you keep it from getting too thick of mat on the "truck" of your tree you should be able to contain it.  If not, just glue top off old one onto new piece.  

What size aquaclear are you using?  

Keep up the good work and post more pics!  

--Superdave

Thanks @Superdave. So far so good for sure. The GSP is gonna come out of my 36g I have currently. It has spread all over the place in there and will be taking a small piece that managed to start growing on an old snail shell in there. Just gonna glue it to the bottom base of the tree and let it go. I though the same about selling it, but like you everyone has it and its so readily available just about everywhere lol. I was also thinking about putting a small piece on the back glass and let it cover that as well. Would also make it easier to frag if needed too.

I am using the aqua clear 20 but with a larger impeller in it. Getting some great flow from it like this. that along with the Hydor 240 got some great flow going on. Will be posting more pics once I start adding livestock to it. Been boring waiting for the cycle to finish so haven't really posted it any except for the few that are here. Will be posting more as the coral grows and new additions get added. 😃

2 hours ago, DaveMc said:

Thanks @Superdave. So far so good for sure. The GSP is gonna come out of my 36g I have currently. It has spread all over the place in there and will be taking a small piece that managed to start growing on an old snail shell in there. Just gonna glue it to the bottom base of the tree and let it go. I though the same about selling it, but like you everyone has it and its so readily available just about everywhere lol. I was also thinking about putting a small piece on the back glass and let it cover that as well. Would also make it easier to frag if needed too.

I am using the aqua clear 20 but with a larger impeller in it. Getting some great flow from it like this. that along with the Hydor 240 got some great flow going on. Will be posting more pics once I start adding livestock to it. Been boring waiting for the cycle to finish so haven't really posted it any except for the few that are here. Will be posting more as the coral grows and new additions get added. 😃

So the powerhead plus the flow/movement from the Aqua clear 20 is enough?  I am looking to rework my equipment (to clean up display) and am considering an aqua clear but do not know if I need something more than the 20.  I want to put my heater and ATO sensor in the back of whatever filter I get.  

5 hours ago, Superdave said:

So the powerhead plus the flow/movement from the Aqua clear 20 is enough?  I am looking to rework my equipment (to clean up display) and am considering an aqua clear but do not know if I need something more than the 20.  I want to put my heater and ATO sensor in the back of whatever filter I get.  

From what I can tell yes. I probably should have went bigger but was worried it would not fit the dimensions of the tank. If you can go bigger than yes, would be a great idea to get every thing in one area for a cleaner look.

On 2/8/2019 at 9:26 PM, DaveMc said:

From what I can tell yes. I probably should have went bigger but was worried it would not fit the dimensions of the tank. If you can go bigger than yes, would be a great idea to get every thing in one area for a cleaner look.

Cool, thanks for the response.  With my tank being the standard 5.5 gallon, there is plenty of room on the back for the 50 or even the 70.  Don't think I quite need the 70 though.  

1 hour ago, Superdave said:

Cool, thanks for the response.  With my tank being the standard 5.5 gallon, there is plenty of room on the back for the 50 or even the 70.  Don't think I quite need the 70 though.  

Your welcome, If you did decide on the 70 to have a bigger back area just remember...the flow can be adjusted. 🙂

6 minutes ago, DaveMc said:

Your welcome, If you did decide on the 70 to have a bigger back area just remember...the flow can be adjusted. 🙂

Some deep searches showed me a 70 on a 5.5 -- looks like great surface agitation/flow.  Don't think I'd need a powerhead then which would be a nice bonus!  

12 hours ago, Superdave said:

Some deep searches showed me a 70 on a 5.5 -- looks like great surface agitation/flow.  Don't think I'd need a powerhead then which would be a nice bonus!  

Very true. I may end up taking my power head out if I decide to go with nothing but RFA's. You got a build thread up for yours yet @Superdave?

2 hours ago, DaveMc said:

Very true. I may end up taking my power head out if I decide to go with nothing but RFA's. You got a build thread up for yours yet @Superdave?

Am pretty sure I will get the 70, then see how it does with water movement/agitation.  Idea of filter intake pipe being only thing in display would be nice!  

I have a few pictures scattered here and there on Nano-Reef but not dedicated build thread.  I set up the tank in 2003 and have been going in different directions here and there ever since.  It sat dark for close to two years at one point; I literally did nothing but top off with tap water and used a powerhead for movement so it wouldn't die.  Just didn't ever want to "give in" and break down the tank.  Is really amazing to see what life survives and re-emerges!  Hate to take off my current bio-wheel 110 (hang me down from the mid 1990s!!) as its got tons of little white tube worms in the back, but I know the same will take place in new filter eventually.  

Started out with florescent, then went compact, then cheap LED bar, then eventually Kessil.  Always done softies and relied nearly exclusively on live rock/sand for filtration.  Had an ocellarus that hosted in GSP for a couple of years until he jumped out.  My super stable water conditions are due I believe in large part to my bristle worm CUC which has gotten out of control.  Found an 8+ inch worm at one point.  No build of waste to speak of, but they have taken out at least 2 fish.  People don't tend to believe me but I've had water tested on regular basis and it's perfect, mushrooms spreading, etc.  I think the worm population is just too high and they are desperate for anything.  No fish right now (they took out the white Montana ocellarus) so my to do list includes building a trap to thin the worm herd.  

Here's a pic from not too long ago:  

IMG_5746.jpg

28 minutes ago, Superdave said:

Am pretty sure I will get the 70, then see how it does with water movement/agitation.  Idea of filter intake pipe being only thing in display would be nice!  

I have a few pictures scattered here and there on Nano-Reef but not dedicated build thread.  I set up the tank in 2003 and have been going in different directions here and there ever since.  It sat dark for close to two years at one point; I literally did nothing but top off with tap water and used a powerhead for movement so it wouldn't die.  Just didn't ever want to "give in" and break down the tank.  Is really amazing to see what life survives and re-emerges!  Hate to take off my current bio-wheel 110 (hang me down from the mid 1990s!!) as its got tons of little white tube worms in the back, but I know the same will take place in new filter eventually.  

Started out with florescent, then went compact, then cheap LED bar, then eventually Kessil.  Always done softies and relied nearly exclusively on live rock/sand for filtration.  Had an ocellarus that hosted in GSP for a couple of years until he jumped out.  My super stable water conditions are due I believe in large part to my bristle worm CUC which has gotten out of control.  Found an 8+ inch worm at one point.  No build of waste to speak of, but they have taken out at least 2 fish.  People don't tend to believe me but I've had water tested on regular basis and it's perfect, mushrooms spreading, etc.  I think the worm population is just too high and they are desperate for anything.  No fish right now (they took out the white Montana ocellarus) so my to do list includes building a trap to thin the worm herd.  

Here's a pic from not too long ago:  

IMG_5746.jpg

I like! the mushrooms and GSP looking great. Have to admit, the only thing left in my g is GSP and one Leather coral. Over the past 6 months was so busy at work I only had time to top off the tank and feed and that was about it, now I am over run with hair algae and bubble algae. Will be breaking it down later on this year and redoing it completely.

But yes, the AC70 would be great for your since you have the room for it. My 5.3g s a cube so was limited to the size I could use but so far the AC20 is doing great with the bigger impeller. Still thinking I may mod it and use it as a fuge though. Don't want the extra nutrients in there if I can avoid it and if I go all corals or RFA's I will only be feeding maybe 2x a week. Between that and water changes shouldn't have to worry alot about nutrient export like I do with my 36g.

I was kind of like you with my 5.3g, initially set it up to use as a grow out for macro algae and also to try and raise pods in it. got to the pint where I was only toping it off just to avoid taking it down or doing anything with it. but after seeing some of the amazing pico's and nano's on here I had to get back into it. I got rid of the light that came with the tank and went with the ABI for now. seems it will give me what I need for this small of a tank to work with softies,LPS and some easy SPS. Here is a pic of the 36g from a while back. then and now still using the OceanRevive Arctic T247 Lights. Love them.

36gFull.jpg