inTank Media Baskets

DaveMc

Hello everyone,

Thought it was about time to get started on my build thread for my first pico tank. Over the years I have had nano's and larger reef systems but this is my first pico so looking forward to getting it going. My light holder, filter, seachem prime and carbon will be delivered tomorrow so I can get going on it. So far this is what I have...

• Microvue3 5.5 gallon cube tank
  • Koralia Nano 240 - Maybe, depends on flow coming from filter
  • 50w Tetra Heater
  • Aquaclear HOB Filter
  • Digital thermometer
  • ABI LED Aquarium Light
  • 5 lbs Dry Rock - Will seed with some rubble from my 36g Bow Front
  • Sand

The two pics here are of the first idea for my aquascaping. Gonna play with some other idea's before making a decision. The one branching piece I am gonna take a frag from my GSP to put on it to make it kind of look like a GSP tree if I stick with it. If not then may attach the frag to the back glass and let it cover it like a all of GSP. Let me know your thoughts on this scape, will post more tomorrow once I play around with it lol.

IMG_20190107_223148123.jpg

IMG_20190107_223154221.jpg

• Like 5
Chris's Fishes

A GSP tree would be fun - I can just imagine that it might be hard to keep looking like a tree, though. GSP just grows so fast.

I have seen people use euphyllia (specifically torches and frogspawn) to make trees before. They usually look nice.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Fisker said:

A GSP tree would be fun - I can just imagine that it might be hard to keep looking like a tree, though. GSP just grows so fast.

I have seen people use euphyllia (specifically torches and frogspawn) to make trees before. They usually look nice.

I can agree wit you there @Fisker. I  have another branching piece that would make it look better but it is also bigger and wouldn't have room for any other rocks lol. Later down the road I will be looking at adding euphyllia probably, love frogspawn and hammers

7 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

Looks fun and funky!  A GSP tree would be fun, I think metrokat did one in her Tea Party pico.

Thanks @Lula_Mae. I always wanted to to a GSP tree, thought it would look cool on its own island. 

Also got another idea for the scape that will be playing with today. Will Post some pics once I have it done 😉

• Like 1

Ok, so decided to keep the current scape for now. The others I was working with just didn't look right. So, only thing left is to get the water mixing and start the cycle. Heres a couple pics with the light etc on it.

IMG_20190108_155350600_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190108_155355981_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190108_155403254.jpg

• Like 5
  • DaveMc changed the title to 5.3g Pico Paradise

So, since I am waiting for this little guy to cycle, was thinking about what I wanted to put in it. At first thought about doing all zoa's with the branch being all GSP. Then got to thinking after seeing so many great looking pico's on here that I could go so many ways. Now not sure if I want to do...

• All Zoa's
  • All RFA's
  • Mix of soft and LPS
  • Soft, LPS and SPS
  • or who knows lol

What is everyone's thoughts on this? Need to get some idea's and where better to ask than here 😃.

Gourami Swami

Guess it depends on your personal goals or what you want. I have a mixed reef, because I am relatively new to reefing, and wanted to keep a little of everything, in order to see what I like best for a more focused future tank. Next time I set a reef up it will probably have a theme like you are describing.

You have had reefs before so I would just ask; what are your favorites?

something like an all zoa tank is an intriguing idea

1 hour ago, Gourami Swami said:

Guess it depends on your personal goals or what you want. I have a mixed reef, because I am relatively new to reefing, and wanted to keep a little of everything, in order to see what I like best for a more focused future tank. Next time I set a reef up it will probably have a theme like you are describing.

You have had reefs before so I would just ask; what are your favorites?

something like an all zoa tank is an intriguing idea

I'm like you, I like everything lol. The only thing I haven't tried is SPS....have to admit it scares me :scarry:. Maybe if I can find some easy to care for SPS I would go with mix and add some RFA's with it. Just not sure what SPS are easy to start with.

4 minutes ago, Aquatic Spendthrift said:

Im doing mixed just since i like a little bit of everything.

I feel ya, as I said above I like everything but scared of SPS, never had it before. My 36g bowfront was all softies at one point, would like to use the pico to try some other things.

Aquatic Spendthrift

There are some easy sps out there like motipora and birdsnest which i have grown successfully in my pico all you have to do is watch alk. My sexys eat most of my birdsnest when went on vacation tho.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, DaveMc said:

I'm like you, I like everything lol. The only thing I haven't tried is SPS....have to admit it scares me :scarry:. Maybe if I can find some easy to care for SPS I would go with mix and add some RFA's with it. Just not sure what SPS are easy to start with.

1 hour ago, Aquatic Spendthrift said:

There are some easy sps out there like motipora and birdsnest which i have grown successfully in my pico all you have to do is watch alk. My sexys eat most of my birdsnest when went on vacation tho.

I was going to say, montipora and birdsnest are reportedly pretty easy.  Some have success with encrusters too but those could potentially take over rock work.  The cool thing about montis is they come in so many different shapes, from caps to digis.  Colors, too.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Aquatic Spendthrift said:

8 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

I was going to say, montipora and birdsnest are reportedly pretty easy.  Some have success with encrusters too but those could potentially take over rock work.  The cool thing about montis is they come in so many different shapes, from caps to digis.  Colors, too.

@Aquatic Spendthrift, @Lula_Mae, thank you both. Been looking at both montipora and birdnest after your suggestions. Really liking the monti caps and the birdnest's are so pretty in color. Thinking mix may be a good way to go. Also seen info on pocillapora. Any experience with that one? 

7 minutes ago, DaveMc said:

@Aquatic Spendthrift, @Lula_Mae, thank you both. Been looking at both montipora and birdnest after your suggestions. Really liking the monti caps and the birdnest's are so pretty in color. Thinking mix may be a good way to go. Also seen info on pocillapora. Any experience with that one? 

None here, I'm afraid.  Not sure if it's considered easier or not.  Check out the bubblegum digi, I think they look so cool!

52 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

None here, I'm afraid.  Not sure if it's considered easier or not.  Check out the bubblegum digi, I think they look so cool!

Looking at the bubblegum digi now, Wow they are really pretty! Will keep them in my list as well. Man, trying to find a way to go is a pain lol.

• Like 1

Been tracking the evaporation over the past 2 days. Seems that I lose about 3 cups of water per day, depending on time of day I check it, due to evaporation. Good to know info and this also tells me I will need to get the Micro ATO sooner than later.

So, as my luck would have it. Woke up this morning since vacation was over and had to get back to work, I checked the tank like I normally do every morning. But this morning I found that the light would not work. Tried turning it on and nothing. Undone the light and placed it back in, plugged it in and nothing....no light at all. Then noticed no flow coming from the filter. Was plugged in and running, three quarters full, impeller is running but not suction coming from the tank into the filter. Unplugged it, readjusted the intake and still nothing!!!

Now, when I get home, I need to take the light and see if it is the actual light or the holder that supplies the electric to it, and then pull the filter apart and see if I can get it working again. Uggghhhhh....I hope since the wave maker is still working that will keep the tank OK until I get home. :angry:

Ok, finally home for the day. Decided to go checking the light and filter. Come to find out the light is fine...looks like it is a bad electrical outlet causing that issue. Switched to a different one and all working fine. Now for the filter, still wasn't working so took it out and opened it up. The impeller didn't seem to be working right so I took it apart and come to find out, the brand new filter, 2 of the 4 blades on the impeller were gone. Pissed me off of course but didn't let it stop me. I went to my supplies and found an old Aqueon 10 filter I had before. The power didn't work but the impeller was the same size only it had 6 blades instead of 4. So I tried it out and guess what....it worked! 
And man let me tell ya, puts out more flow than the original. I may not need the wave maker now lol.

Day just got better!!!!   

• Like 2

Well nothing new to report as of yet, still waiting for cycle to finish. Have to admit I do turn the light on for a few minutes and just look at it. The water is so clear and the flow is great, but the evaporation!!! MAN, never topped off so much on any of my other tanks lol. Gotta work on getting that Micro ATO for it next. 😋

• Like 1
Just now, NuisanceAlgaeCultivator said:

Maybe a “diy” temporary cover until the ATO arrives?

That may be a very good idea. Didn't even think of that. The tank has a cover but can't use it with the HOB filter and light holder on the tank. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind topping it off only takes about 5 seconds but would hate to forget one day and it get too low and kill anything I may have in it.

Thanks for helping to juggle my mind @NuisanceAlgaeCultivator. Greatly appreciated 😃

• Like 1