ReefCleaners.org

Anyone have Ice cap 1k experience

Brianr24

I’m trying to figure out what to use for flow in a 15 gallon cube. I was going to go with jeboa ow 10 but decided not to. I haven’t had much luck with them in the past. I was looking at aqumai but reviews not too good. Ice cap looks good but I’m afraid it may be too much for 15 by 12 area. I can probably upgrade return and not have any power head in display but I like to be able to swish up the flow.wondering if anyone used in small tank.

i don’t want to spring for money 10 too much. 

I have a gyre 1k in my 45g that I've been running for about a month. I can say without a doubt it will be way too much power in a 15g cube. Even if you only use one side of the gyre that too will be overkill given that the flow is laminar instead of pinpointed. I ran mine at 60% near the surface and it was like a wave of water coming out of my tank.

4 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

Too much flow. However, you could remove one of the flow arms on 1K and see if that works. Pretty sure it comes with conversion kit. 

Yeah you definitely can. I know I would have to do that and run at lowest setting which is 10 percent. I’m still not sure if it would be too much. I read one review he said he uses on a flex 15 and likes it. But I’m looking for some more confirmation. I don’t want to spend $120 or so just to find out. See koi can get some advice 1rts.

A Little Blue
46 minutes ago, Brianr24 said:

Yeah you definitely can. I know I would have to do that and run at lowest setting which is 10 percent. I’m still not sure if it would be too much. I read one review he said he uses on a flex 15 and likes it. But I’m looking for some more confirmation. I don’t want to spend $120 or so just to find out. See koi can get some advice 1rts.

Sorry but I can’t give you a definite answer. If you were running bare bottom and mostly kept SPS corals, I would say, yes, you could definitely use 1K in that size tank. Softies/LPS + sand....I don’t know? 

I tried running one in my 30 gal cube...24x24x12...was way too much for frogspawn and other lps but probably would have been fine for sps, I tried everything turning it down, using only 1 side etc.  These things move alot of water

8 hours ago, Privateer said:

I tried running one in my 30 gal cube...24x24x12...was way too much for frogspawn and other lps but probably would have been fine for sps, I tried everything turning it down, using only 1 side etc.  These things move alot of water

Thx that’s very helpful. I’m not even going to try it. I keep mostly softies. I’m sure I can get away with just return pump. It’s just hard  to get any pattern with only one source of flow. I haven’t seen a random flow adapter or anything for WB. Maybe I will upgrade return pump. Or throw a koralia nano in. 

I may also research into the aqumai a little more. The Reviews I found weren’t too good and all u tube vids just sponsored sales pitches.

A Little Blue

I have 3 KPS in my tank. No complains. Setup can be a bit PITA due to poor instructions tho. Google RFG nozzle for random flow for your return. They have verity of adapters as well. You might need more powerful return pump thought. 

10 hours ago, ChrisATX said:

I’m running the 1k on my 25 lagoon. With it turned all the way down it’s borderline too much flow.

Thank you. I’m leaning toward that rfg mentioned above with a stronger return pump. Still not sure tho. Definitely not going to get icecap.

This is what you should do...Add the 1k to the 15 cube, lower the water level by 2 inches, go bare bottom and cement the rock to the tank's bottom glass. Chuck a whole bunch of SPS in there and watch it grow! Result!

Jokes aside, to give you an idea, I have a single1 K on my 65 gallon and SPS grows well in it, though the growth structure is a little weird as there isnt enough random flow, but they healthy