Innovative Marine Aquariums

Help me decide on salt mix

Muffin87

4 minutes ago, specore said:

I agree.  Didn't necessarily mean there aren't better salts at higher prices, just more that some people tend to be prejudiced simply because one is less/more expensive than another. 

No, no. I know. I completely agree with what you said.

I started questioning my aquaforest use, heard so many good things yet... Cost a lot, seemed to use more of it to mix to 1.026, and I started reading others having similar issues.

Also got tired of alk being 7- not much room to work with.

1 hour ago, specore said:

I'm currently using the Live Aquaria Professional and have been pleased.

I have been using this salt also and am very happy with it. But I just read that Dr. F and S will be closing so not sure how long this salt will be available. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

I have been using this salt also and am very happy with it. But I just read that Dr. F and S will be closing so not sure how long this salt will be available. 

Hopefully LA carries on.  If so I would think there is a possibility this salt is still offered through them.  

6 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

That sucks! The article I read said nothing with the Foster and Smith name would survive with that name on it. Shame on Petco!

https://www.wjfw.com/stories.html?sku=20190110182351&status=viewfull

• Sad 1
On 1/11/2019 at 3:55 PM, DaveFason said:

I enjoyed the Aquaforest salt until I started to get a biofilm from the mix. 

Is that from the probiotic version then?

I doubt he drfosterandsmith salt is their salt they make, I don't see Petco manufacturing their own salt. It is likely fritz salt re-branded based on tests/packaging. 

LA salt down to $40 for 205 lbs btw.... maybe they will keep it though as it says "Live Aquaria reef salt" and not drfosterandsmith on it but the price drop is suspicious. 

I was switching to red sea but at $40, I am tempted to pick up a few boxes for QT's and what not lol 😛

On 1/12/2019 at 10:28 PM, Muffin87 said:

Is that from the probiotic version then?

It was. Nothing wrong with it but I did notice some white slime here and there. It never effected anything in the tank.