Cultivated Reef

Too much pressure through RO unit?

austinmullis

austinmullis

I've got a 50 gpd RO buddie. When i used it at the kitchen sink, i got very little flow, because if i turned the faucet on too much, the faucet adapter came apart. At first i though it was broke or stripped, and then maybe i thought it was intentional to keep  you from forcing too much water through it. Now im using it outside at a hose, and im forcing way more water through it no problem. Im getting about 100 gpd out of it, double the amount it says it should make. My question is, is this bad? Am i damaging the ro membrane, or is the "Clean" water not as clean as it should be?

Membranes will be most efficient at higher pressure. Check the specs on your particular membrane. Most are efficient at 50-75 psi and can take pressure up to 150 psi. Most homes are regulated to 50-65 psi so I doubt your putting to much pressure through it. Grab a pressure gauge and test your pressure at the hose.      

austinmullis

So the water coming out isn't gonna be any less clean? That's good to hear. I was just worried because the unit itself is rated at 50 gpd and im getting double that.