Top Shelf Aquatics

WTB Mini red carpet anemone

CCDillon

Went and duked him out for it ...I picked the nem up and the crab had a death grip and was just dangling by one claw on the nem out of the water. If I managed to get it out of one claw he grabbed it with the other. 

I finally managed to pry it out if his vice grip just as I was debating taking the crabs arm off 😮

My pom pom is huge and not shy and has hairy legs...he ran to the front if the glass shaking his arms at me and cursing. 

nem is pissed though.... hopefully nothing bad enough to kill it.

16 hours ago, Tamberav said:

My little asshole pom pom crab has one....I need to wrestle it away....that tiny red thing its holding is a little tiny Bali nem

MVIMG_20190303_180820.thumb.jpg.532f73815dbf6b250a369faae8355d0f.jpg

Oh wow yeah I'd wrestle it away for sure because there's no way it'll survive like that. 

16 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Went and duked him out for it ...I picked the nem up and the crab had a death grip and was just dangling by one claw on the nem out of the water. If I managed to get it out of one claw he grabbed it with the other. 

I finally managed to pry it out if his vice grip just as I was debating taking the crabs arm off 😮

My pom pom is huge and not shy and has hairy legs...he ran to the front if the glass shaking his arms at me and cursing. 

nem is pissed though.... hopefully nothing bad enough to kill it.

Haha wow that's wild. Well if you got the nem safely away I believe it'll make a full recovery. I've seen these guys lose nearly all their short tentacles from stress and then eventually bounce back. 

Just better keep a tight leash on that pom-pom lol

44 minutes ago, CCDillon said:

Haha wow that's wild. Well if you got the nem safely away I believe it'll make a full recovery. I've seen these guys lose nearly all their short tentacles from stress and then eventually bounce back. 

Just better keep a tight leash on that pom-pom lol

I have the nem in a breeder box, I had put the crab in there for being a BAD CRAB but he still found ways to be a BAD CRAB obviously. I released him and left the nem in the box. 

It is looking okay today, and it reattached to some of the macro algae in there, glad to know these guys are hardy. I'm going to try and make a little box for it with netting over to keep the crab out and put the box in the sand bed. 

I have had a pom pom crab grab small beadlets and carry them around. These guys just love little nems of any sort. I guess I could give him a baby mushroom or something so he's not feeling so naked. 

tonydahomie
3 hours ago, Mkus said:

Friend got one this past sat at frag farmers market in CT

I’m in CT and want one. Any idea where?

On 3/4/2019 at 1:55 AM, West1 said:

Anyone in SoCal/LA area, hit me up, I'll take one!

Nice pickup OP!!

Deep Blue Aquarium in North Hollywood has tons of them. You may want to call ahead on price.

• Thanks 1
On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 5:01 PM, tonydahomie said:

I’m in CT and want one. Any idea where?

just one guy selling them I have two myself one I bought last year split!

On 3/16/2019 at 12:35 PM, kenneking said:

I just pulled a bunch from my tank! Don’t honestly know what to ask for them, but I am willing to get rid of a few.

A4127470-26AF-407F-8A6C-8D27B74B6A9D.jpeg

Where are you located?

On 3/16/2019 at 3:35 PM, kenneking said:

I just pulled a bunch from my tank! Don’t honestly know what to ask for them, but I am willing to get rid of a few.

How in the hell did you manage that? I just had to split rock open on mine and accepted that a bit of rock traveled with each.

33 minutes ago, asting said:

How in the hell did you manage that? I just had to split rock open on mine and accepted that a bit of rock traveled with each.

I had a ton of them on a rock and a threw flow on them and collected them when they walked off the rock over a long time 😁

4 hours ago, kenneking said:

I had a ton of them on a rock and a threw flow on them and collected them when they walked off the rock over a long time 😁

Ah got it. I tried the bucket, threw a powerhead at it, flipped the rock, tried ice. Couldn't do it. ended up hammering up a 4-5lb live rock to get small pieces they were attached to. So obnoxious

On topic - would you ship maybe when it's a bit warmer? I'd be interested in a couple to add to mine.

• 3 weeks later...
EthanPhillyCheesesteak

I’m glad I actually stubbled upon your thread. I bought something that looks very similar to the nem in your picture. Hes only about maybe 3 inches. My occellaris is hosting it. It’s red, but not a super dark red like all of yours. It’s a light red on the outer rim, and a oranges color on the inside. Could this be a mini carpet or a regular carpet, like a haddoni? I didn’t know that there was a difference between a mini carpet and a maxi mini. 

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

I read that haddonis and such are very difficult to care for, and myself of all people definitely does not have perfect water conditions. So that’s why I’m confused. He is doing great, nice and open and sticky. I feed him scallops and mysis every other day. 

2 hours ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

I read that haddonis and such are very difficult to care for, and myself of all people definitely does not have perfect water conditions. So that’s why I’m confused. He is doing great, nice and open and sticky. I feed him scallops and mysis every other day. 

The algae, while unsightly is keeping your water clean. Unfortunately algae can smother corals.

I think the major problem with these nems is they are poor shippers so perhaps you got lucky and got one that was in acceptable shape. 

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
8 hours ago, Tamberav said:

The algae, while unsightly is keeping your water clean. Unfortunately algae can smother corals.

I think the major problem with these nems is they are poor shippers so perhaps you got lucky and got one that was in acceptable shape. 

Yea maybe. Still hoping that it may be a mini

On 4/10/2019 at 6:48 AM, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Yea maybe. Still hoping that it may be a mini

Hey there, gonna be honest.. it sure looks like a small haddoni or one of the regular larger carpets. I'm for sure it isn't the red Bali nem that we're discussing. Good luck with it though. Just keep your water clean and don't allow it to walk into one of your powerheads and make sure you have adequate space. Though I'm not for sure it's a larger carpet. Possible chance it could be a mini maxi because of the coloring you described. Also kind of looks like a hairy mushroom by the look of the tentacles.. though I'm sure it isn't. 

I do plan on selling these guys once mine splits. I've been feeding nearly everyday so I'm hoping it happens soon. 

On 3/16/2019 at 2:35 PM, kenneking said:

How did you get these to split so much? Just naturally? 

Mine has split twice in a few months feed them the Bali ones will split quickly!

The above anemone is not the Bali variety to big...

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
2 hours ago, Mkus said:

Mine has split twice in a few months feed them the Bali ones will split quickly!

The above anemone is not the Bali variety to big...

So I guess it’s a regular carpet. Probably a haddoni😬

• Recommended Discussions