Cultivated Reef

Creating a clean up crew for Biocube 32

antigonus

My Biocube 32 is currently cycling and has just gotten its first diatom bloom. Of course it will still be some time, but I have started think about what my clean up crew should be composed of when I eventually add them. 

This is what I was thinking so far.

-Three or four hermit crabs, either blue legged or scarlet if my LFS has them

-Four cerith snails 

-Three trochus snails

-Two nassarius snails 

Does this plan seem like it would work? I'm not sure exactly what snails my LFS will have, but do Ceriths, trochus and nassarius seem like a decent mix? 

Also, I had a few questions about what I should add. 

-Are female emerald crabs generally less aggressive than their male counterparts? If so, can this difference by readily distinguished? I rather want an emerald crab, but have heard so much conflicting information, with some people saying they're peaceful and great, and others that they'll murder everything in the tank. I was just curious if there was a way to minimize the chance of aggression from the outset.

-Can peppermint shrimp be added as part of the CuC? I have somewhat of an Aiptasia problem,  and was thinking about getting a few peppermints. Are they too sensitive to be added at an early stage? 

• 1 month later...

I have a 32g tank, CUC consists of:

1 x Strombus snail

4 x nessarius snails

6 x peppermint shrimp

And a crew of 4 or 5 turbo snails of varying size. 

Seems to work OK for me.