thedon986

Algae or Macroalgae? ID Help Please!

I am starting up a new tank and I am using Gulf Live Rock, which is awesome, but I have an algae on one rock in particular that I can’t ID. It looks to me much like fresh water Cabomba but in mini form. I was thought it was bryopsis before but I don’t think so now. Any ID help would be much appreciated! I would like to know if I need to eradicate it before starting to stock the tank. 

Thanks!

837A50AD-CBA6-430E-9D24-3B98D8BF4109.jpeg

ABE40A36-DFA0-4880-A7E4-C3DB6B408375.jpeg

68269D8B-5140-460C-A43F-FCFE96317C82.jpeg

I really suck with macros, or any algae ids, so take it for what it’s worth. Try checking out Caulerpa mexicana.

Already have coralline on the back wall? That’s some good rock. 

2 hours ago, RayWhisperer said:

I really suck with macros, or any algae ids, so take it for what it’s worth. Try checking out Caulerpa mexicana.

That's a possibility, although it doesn't look as thick. It is growing by runners though.

4 minutes ago, xthunt said:

Already have coralline on the back wall? That’s some good rock. 

Hahaha, it was a used tank I picked up on Craigslist. I think that coraline is all dead, who knows though maybe it will spring back to life.

5 minutes ago, Weikel said:

That’s what I am seeing too 

I can't find any pictures of bryopsis that look like this though. It's not the typical fan shape. I've had bryopsis in the past and this doesn't seem to match up.

I think I found what this is. Not byropsis! This looks to be Caulerpa verticillata 

It looks like this might be just as tough of a challenge as bryopsis. We'll see. It sure is pretty but I've read it grows very very fast, and seems to have perked up fast from the shipping shock.

• Like 2

On 1/5/2019 at 3:54 PM, thedon986 said:

I am starting up a new tank and I am using Gulf Live Rock, which is awesome, but I have an algae on one rock in particular that I can’t ID. It looks to me much like fresh water Cabomba but in mini form. I was thought it was bryopsis before but I don’t think so now. Any ID help would be much appreciated! I would like to know if I need to eradicate it before starting to stock the tank. 

Thanks!

837A50AD-CBA6-430E-9D24-3B98D8BF4109.jpeg

ABE40A36-DFA0-4880-A7E4-C3DB6B408375.jpeg

68269D8B-5140-460C-A43F-FCFE96317C82.jpeg

Caulerpa verticilatta. Aka fuzzy caulerpa. Hermits eat it as do emerald crabs etc... it is a fast grower and can be a pain to trim. I think it looks nice, YMMV. 

Aahhh you beat me to it. +1 on the ID. Easier to get rid of than Byropsis species is the good news. 

23 hours ago, johnmaloney said:

Aahhh you beat me to it. +1 on the ID. Easier to get rid of than Byropsis species is the good news. 

I got my order from you last Monday and those hermits should come in handy!! Hope they're hungry.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, thedon986 said:

I got my order from you last Monday and those hermits should come in handy!! Hope they're hungry.

Put them on it and pluck out what you can and it should be gone fast. Sometimes they are slow to find things.