inTank Media Baskets

Suggestions to upgrade lighting - JBJ Nano Cube DX 12 gallon

LisaD

Hi everyone,

I haven't posted for a long time, but am getting back into marine tanks after being tankless for many years after a move. I have an old JBJ Nano Cube DX, 12 gallon.  It was retired, but I recently set it back up for a little mantis shrimp (who will likely be moving to a Fluval Spec V soon). The tank looks really nice, but I now remember why I retired it. The fans are VERY LOUD, and it runs hot without them. I'm looking to do one of two things:

1. Upgrade the lighting to LED in the existing top (retrofit), or

2. Remove the top altogether, find/make a cover (ideas or links to after market suppliers?) and put an LED strip light or gooseneck on top.

I'm not looking for anything fancy. I'm looking to keep a lagoon type environment with zoanthids and soft corals, 1-2 smallish, hardy anemones (e.g., Florida flower anemone), small inverts/cleaners, may a couple tiny fish. I am NOT looking to have an SPS tank.  I'm an experienced marine aquarium keeper, so I do understand stocking limits and won't be overstocking this tank.

But I hate the lighting and the noise is driving me nuts. The canopy is ugly and dated too, IMO. I know this is the DIY forum, but I'd welcome suggestions for plug and play retrofit lighting for the hood OR a new top that I'll add an LED to. I have emailed Steve's LEDs, as they had an LED lighting upgrade for this system years ago, but don't list it now.

All that said, I'm open to suggestions, so if there is a great build thread that is more FOWLR or LPS/Zoa tank, please post links.

How I got back into the hobby: 

I have not had a marine tank since I moved in 2011 and sold or gave away almost all my tanks and livestock. Including 210. 44 pent, 55, several smaller tanks... I only kept a 29, 90, and the 12 gallon nano cube.  I've been tankless since, about 7.5 years. I work at a mail order biological supply house (for educators). Our Florida Keys collector sent samples of live urchins for Biosmounts (museum quality preserved materials in a case) along with other living materials that department ordered. They couldn't use the two urchins, didn't want to just let them die, and came to me. I set up a tank for them in my office. Not long after, I sent our collector in the Florida Keys a request for THREE items for photography - yellow ball sponge, flower anemone, a mantis shrimp. He sent me a whole fish box of marine organisms, including five ball sponges and TWO mantis shrimp. I've had them set up in temporary tanks as I've found them homes locally. Some I'm keeping are in the simple 10 gallon setup in my office. But now I've got the bug again. 🙂 And would like to bring the 12 gallon Nano Cube (after upgrade) to work. Thanks in advance for any ideas!

• Like 1