ReefCleaners.org

skimmer for a New frag tank

Mido

been just over a year since I started with my first ever tank 50 g AIO, 

now it is time for a new project ( or two: )

so in the near future I will transfer my 50 g to a 100 g but first I want to start a cheap frag tank ...

I am set on  a 24x24x12 tank... for filtration I will use  a HOB filter ( I know :)...but for skimmer I just want to ask about your experience with nano skimmers,

not a super fan of HOB skimmers cz they leak so I was thinking of a nano skimmer that I can just put in the corner...have used the tunze 9001 before and they were just ok , anything better? thx in advance, also I would like to hear if anyone used a HOB filter in a reef tank before....

Happy new year everyone 🙂

An internal skimmer will take up a chunk of valuable real estate.  I'd consider drilling it for a 10 gallon sump.

Like you said the Tunze is probably acceptable although not impressive.  I kind of think most AIO skimmers are fairly similar.

• Like 1

It's personal opinion in the end and maybe a YMMV thing too, but...

IMO I'd rather have an unobtrusive black box in the tank that can fade into the background vs a brightly colored hang on that makes the tank itself more of an eyesore in the room.   

Maybe a bigger deal for some people: An internal skimmer should be a lot more quiet.

thx all for ur input, looks like the tunze for me might get the 9004 instead of the 9001, 

and I agree a black box in the background doesn't look any different to me than a corner/ central overflow box... 

• Like 1

Just me but I am not a fan of the nano skimmers (especially on a larger tank) and certain HOB models are more effective.  Eshoppes makes the PSK-75H and 100H models which both work well and Reef Octopus has the Classic 100 model that is pretty good.   I ran the PSK-75H on my 36 gallon bowfront and it did a pretty good job.  Here it is in action:  

4 hours ago, Mido said:

many thx, I am just worried about overflowing with HOB skimmers esp cz sometimes I am not home for a week or so...

Fair Enough, the HOB Skimmers do have overflow tubes that will send the water back into the tank if it overflows (that's what the tube is in the tank on the far left).  At that point it's really not benefiting much as a skimmer but at least the water isn't spilling out all over.  Sump would be your best bet though.  Just me personally but I wouldn't do any less than 20 gallons for a sump, it's not just about the water flow, it's about having space for the equipment (a bigger/beefier skimmer and return pump are definitely crucial parts of a sump) and that cleaning and working in and around a cramped sump is no fun at all.  I run a 29 gallon sump on my 90 gallon (biggest tank that will fit in my stand).  Here it is in action:  

As a Tunze owner, I wouldn't use one.... they feel cheap and a pain to clean. I'd sell my 9004 for 60 + shipping if you really want one. Skims okay but more work than its worth on a nano 😛

I would probably try this one, their skimmers get lots of good reviews:

https://www.marinedepot.com/AquaMaxx_WS_1_In_Sump_Protein_Skimmer_In_Sump_Protein_Skimmers_for_Aquariums_Reefs-AquaMaxx-UJ00189-FIPSIS-vi.html

Just plan on an ATO for any skimmer you get, they are picky about water staying the same height.