Pod Your Reef

Worried I'll end up flipping the breaker putting new tank in my office.

AkOndray

In my home office I have a gaming PC with a 750W power supply as well as an in-window AC unit (not positive on exact wattage but I'm guessing around 900 just looking at average wattage for small-medium units).  

That alone combines to 1650W at peak and it looks like most homes typically have either a 15 or 20 amp circuit (so max load of 1800-2400W).  Definitely thinking I'm going to have to set the tank up in another room without so many power consuming items.

Just curious if anyone else has dealt with this in the past.  I haven't looked at most of the equipment I'll be using for the tank so I'm not sure if I might be over-reacting.  Looking at the light I'm using (AI Prime HD), it looks like it draws a max of 55 Watts, so maybe this is really an over-exaggeration on my part (especially if I happen to have a 2400W circuit to my office, I'll have to check when I get home).

What size tank and what equipment are you planning on running?

If you have a smaller tank, you likely won’t be running that at full power, possibly less than 50%.

DC pumps are fairly cost effective now and pull less power than AC pumps.

A Kill-A-Watt meter will let you know exactly what you are pulling from each of your devices.

You likely aren’t pulling the full 750W and you most certainly aren’t running near that limit all the time. You do need to account for max load, but I’d be surprised if you actually are using the majority of the power supply’s capacity; even with a gaming rig. They are usually overbuilt.

People that run larger systems often run dedicated circuits for thier tanks. If you own your home, that might be an option if the tank is worth that for you.

Get an electrician to put in another circuit, or upgrade what you have from 15 up to 20 amps, if it's possible....something.  

Definitely don't risk running the circuit close to 100% capacity, if that's what it amount to when you add up all the watts.  

A popped breaker on your tank's circuit can be a death knell for a tank if it happens while you're asleep or while you're away.  (Been there while sleeping...woke up to dead digitata's.)