SaltCritters.com

Busted Heater

Ramzman89

Has anyone ever had a heater bust on them? I was cleaning tank the other day and when i stuck my hand in it shocked the crap out of me. Pulled heater out and sure enough the glass was busted on the end. I assume water got inside and boiled inside by coils until it popped. I ran and grabbed one that was not glass. Don't think I'll ever have another one of those. It was brand new but cheap as heck like 20 bucks. Guy at LFS recommended it. Get what ya pay for.

2 minutes ago, mystersyster said:

I bought a cheapo glass heater from amazon that did the same thing. Never again. 

Do you remember the name? I can't I threw my box and stuff away and don't think it was on heater. It was in a black box with red lettering.

I had the same thing happen not long ago...I happened to be there AT NIGHT when it happened – it scared  **** outta me. 😄 (But it was an ancient heater....not new.)

• Haha 1

Even brand name heaters have been known to crack, burst, the heaters not made of glass have had issues.

Heaters are the one piece of equipment that's most likely to malfunction.

Been using these for years without issue, I think @Lawnman uses them also

If you have a controller

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/finnex-th-deluxe-titanium-heating-element-with-plastic-guard.html?sku=209869&gclid=Cj0KCQiApbzhBRDKARIsAIvZue_DNToBCeYYYboX3HjhnzXxx97bdv3OqwFiB4lNFAvkhnEuoF1dmsYaAjluEALw_wcB

If you do not have a controller

Finnex HMA-200S Electronic Controller Aquarium Heater/Titanium Tube/Heater Guard https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BKGMVCM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_BM3lCbHG4X42J

Metal heaters don't seem to pop like glass ones, but they do fail and leak voltage A LOT MORE OFTEN than glass IME.   

I'd check the tank water periodically with a multi-meter.

4 minutes ago, mcarroll said:

Metal heaters don't seem to pop like glass ones, but they do fail and leak voltage A LOT MORE OFTEN than glass IME.   

I'd check the tank water periodically with a multi-meter.

Only time in 15 years that I've had stray voltage  problems was from a bad ground on the wall outlet. Other than that I've been lucky I guess 

• Like 1