ReefCleaners.org

Suitable tank mates for Blue Fiji Damsel

new2reefin

I currently have a 25 Lagoon with the only fish being a Blue Fiji Damsel. Does anyone have any experience with matching any other fish with the Blue Fiji Damsel. Most of the information online states that it is too aggressive in general.

A shark....lol.  In all seriousness most damsels are pretty aggressive.  Especially as the first fish in the tank.  May want to consider returning it to the LFS and selecting something else.  In regards to stocking, try putting in the less aggressive species first.  

RayWhisperer

I've said this more times than I can count. They dont call them Fiji blue devil damsel for no reason. They are very aggressive and territorial. Honestly, your best bet for a tank mate is to try to find another devil of the opposite sex. That can be hard, though. I dont know that damsels are sexually dimorphic.

I think something that lives on the bottom would work... such as a goby and pistol shrimp pair. It may be interesting till they paired up. Maybe the lights kept low for a few days would help. A 6 lined wrasse may be an option as well.

• Like 1
NuisanceAlgaeCultivator

I started with a clown  a little over 1 year ago, added a Bicolor Pseudochromis 6 months after that, then added the blue devil about 4 months after the Pseudo.

The clown and pseudo get along great and have 0 issues.

The psuedo is aggressive toward the blue and since day one chases the blue to one side of the tank where the clown usually isn’t but never actually attacks it, it kind of sticks up for the clown should the blue get to close.

I read somewhere that aggressive fish have a better chance of dealing with other aggressive fish. In my experience adding the most aggressive fish as a smaller juvenile last, and letting the less aggressive fish establish dominance and territory in the tank seems to be working.

Bicolor psuedo or wrasse as jambon mentioned would be my suggestions.

Something mean, sixline, dottybacks, a older maroon clown, or clarkii, flame hawkfish, pygmy angel, ect. 

At any time, one may kill another, stuff can change as fish age. 

• Like 1