ReefCleaners.org

Shell forming worm?

GendryDog9798

GendryDog9798

Hello all! 

I tried to get a picture but it’s not clear. I seem to have some sort of critter/worm camping out on a rock and no idea what it is. It seems to be a worm, but it is creating a sort of shell over itself. When I get near it it will retreat into the tube. It is growing in a circle around zoa and i can easily chip away it the “shell” but after a few days it reforms it. I’ve checked at night and have never seen it out of the “shell” just the end peeking out. I’ve googled worms forming shells and other queries but can’t find anything. 

Any help is appreciated! 8136908A-10A5-47D2-AC79-98B306430188.thumb.jpeg.ae8d79e0cf7a2230610fb6f3b17a0717.jpeg

GendryDog9798

I’m still newish as well! It could be since there is a tube, but I never see anything other than what looks like a reddish head(?) on the end. It also seems to send out strings of slime at times. It doesn’t seem to hurt anything in the tank. Everyone is healthy and happy, thank goodness! I just don’t want to tear the tank apart trying to get rid of something if it’s not sinister! 🤣

GendryDog9798

That’s it! You solved the mystery! But I looked it up and seeing conflicting info that they are harmless or that they are a nuisance! Any insight? Thanks again! 

RayWhisperer

Individually, they are pretty harmless. The mucous net can irritate corals, but not too bad. The problem with them is, in aquariums, they can get out of control. With large numbers of them, the nets are constantly irritating corals. Constant irritation leads to death. 

I've had a few personal experiences with them. To me, they are fine. However, I keep my tanks pretty clean, so there isn't a lot of detritus for them to feed on. The more food, the more they'll spread. Also, there are different species of them. The small ones seem to be much more prolific. I had a huge one in a 12 gallon. Its tube was almost 3/8" across and about 7" long. Its net would cover half the tank. That was a fairly dirty tank, too. In the 5 years I ran that tank, I never saw a second one.

So really, the choice is yours. If you feel you can keep a clean enough tank, a few of them are great detrivores to have. If you dont trust yourself, it's probably best if you eliminate them.

• Like 1
GendryDog9798

Thank you so much! I’ve only seen this on so far and running a pretty small tank. I’m in the process of cycling my new 30gall cube so will probably wait until the transfer over and just remove him then. Unless things get ugly before then. 🙂 thanks so much!