Innovative Marine Aquariums

Switching Salt

Daniel91

I’ve been using Tropic Marin in my IM10 for the last 6 months. It’s always been premixed from LFS but after finding 66 TDS in their RO water, I decided to get an RODI unit and make my own.

I have a bucket of Red Sea salt.

to make the change as smooth as possible - would a 1gal waterchange every other day for the next two weeks be the way to go?

What is the salinity, alkalinity, calcium and magnesium of your tank at the moment? 

Edit: Also, what is the stocking in the tank? If you have corals, which ones? 

Salinity - 0.0025 (will be matched)

ALK, CA, MAG - 10, 450, 1300

While the Red Sea salt mixes fairly close at 0.025, there is still a fluctuation, which is why I will only be doing one gallon every other day.

Mixed reef - two clowns

I think you can go ahead with one gallon a day. Alkalinity fluctuation (given you have an Alk of 10) shouldn't be more than 0.2-0.3 per change, so you should be okay.

• Like 1

I've changed salts without issue, just did my regular weekly 15% waterchange.

Large waterchanges will cause more issues when changing brands, especially if the params are completely different.

If the params are close you should be fine with regular waterchanges

• Like 1

I’ve switched brands with 100% water changes with no ill effect, on two different occasions, but the parameters were pretty closely matched.

[I was running a pico with a sump at the time with a full system volume of one gallon. 100% water changes were the norm.]

Which version of the Red Sea salt are you using?

The Coral Pro has pretty high alkalinity from what I’ve heard. If you are using that, you might want to keep the water change percentage a little bit lower. You should probably be fine with the blue bucket, though you should probably test the new water so you know what the difference in parameters is.

If you aren’t currently having problems, there isn’t a rush to get all of the old water out of there. Switching over with 10-15% water changes, should be fine if there isn’t a drastic difference in parameters.