Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Live rock hitchhiker?

Lind715

Hello! I am new to saltwater tanks and I got some live rock to start up my first one. This tank has been up for about 5 days and I noticed these small orange things on certain rocks. I was wondering what they are and if they're good or bad.

20190103_095745.jpg

20190103_095759.jpg

20190103_095909.jpg

Vermetid snails. Some people think they are beneficial, other people take them out as soon as they see one. The mucus the snails use to feed can aggitate corals and cause them to close up.

Do a little research and see if you want to take them out. If you do, get a razor and scrape off everything.

• Thanks 1

Thank you! The pieces they were on came from a different aquatic store than the others and I had extra of the rock from the better store so I'm just going to take them out and switch them. Could I still have problems later since they were in the tank or it wasnt enough time to get on the other rocks?

3 hours ago, Lind715 said:

Thank you! The pieces they were on came from a different aquatic store than the others and I had extra of the rock from the better store so I'm just going to take them out and switch them. Could I still have problems later since they were in the tank or it wasnt enough time to get on the other rocks?

I don't know how fast they reproduce, but you're probably fine since it wasn't in that long.