ReefCleaners.org

What are these little creatures on the glass?

Bngw

Harmless Copepods. They are in every reef tank and if yours is a new tank, you will see a lot of them for a bit until the population stablizes itself. 

• Thanks 1

My tank is only 8 gal with a clownfish and a scarlet skunk shrimp so far haha. They dont seem to have any interest in these little snacks. Would a prawn goby feed on them? 

Snow_Phoenix
3 hours ago, Bngw said:

My tank is only 8 gal with a clownfish and a scarlet skunk shrimp so far haha. They dont seem to have any interest in these little snacks. Would a prawn goby feed on them? 

Prawn goby = orangespot goby? Possibly. But those type of gobies usually stick to the sandbed. I've never actually seen a prawn goby picking pods off the rocks or glass. 

They’re algae eaters and won’t harm anything. I have a boat load in my QT and consider them part of my cuc, lol. Free fish food. My Clown Goby loves them.

• Thanks 1
15 minutes ago, Oldsalt01 said:

They’re algae eaters and won’t harm anything. I have a boat load in my QT and consider them part of my cuc, lol. Free fish food. My Clown Goby loves them.

Yes im looking for either a yellow or green clown goby, they look fun to have 

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

Prawn goby = orangespot goby? Possibly. But those type of gobies usually stick to the sandbed. I've never actually seen a prawn goby picking pods off the rocks or glass. 

Its yellow watchmen goby 😁 yes they stay hidden mostly so i dont think that will work

37 minutes ago, Bngw said:

Yes im looking for either a yellow or green clown goby, they look fun to have 

Mixing Gobies can be hit or miss. Sometimes they’ll tolerate eachother, sometimes not. Seems to depend on body shape and where they hang out. With an 8g you’ll be limited to 2 fish, 3 max if they’re small.

• Thanks 1
Snow_Phoenix

What are your stocking plans exactly? I kept a GCG with two hi-fins in a 20G. The fish never fought and each had their own space. The hi-fins even shared the same burrow at one stage and shared the same pistol shrimp. IMO and BME, bioload counts towards keeping fish in a tank, not just the number of fish (and yes, I'm aware this is a very unpopular opinion among reefers). 

18 hours ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

What are your stocking plans exactly? I kept a GCG with two hi-fins in a 20G. The fish never fought and each had their own space. The hi-fins even shared the same burrow at one stage and shared the same pistol shrimp. IMO and BME, bioload counts towards keeping fish in a tank, not just the number of fish (and yes, I'm aware this is a very unpopular opinion among reefers). 

I only have a clownfish, a yellow watchman goby, and a scarlet skunk shrimp. I dont plan to add anymore fish or corals_DSC0090-1111.thumb.jpg.256132004b818a1f5ea33458a6d442b3.jpg hehe. My corals are some euphyllias, acan, zoas, and a baby rose BTA

• Like 1
  • Christopher Marks changed the title to What are these little creatures on the glass?