Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Newstead's New Waterbox 10 & Ye Olde Biocube 29 - New fish and shrimps!

Newstead

Starting up a Waterbox 10 we got each other as a bedside tank. Not much to look at yet, just rock & water, but Jan. 1 is a great time to start a new adventure!

HARDWARE

Light : AI Prime HD

Stock pump replaced with Cobalt MJ Mini 606

Cobalt Neotherm 75 w heater

Hydor Koralia 240 gph powerhead

InTank 2nd chamber media basket

Tropic Eden Aragavive Live Reef Flakes 

IM screen top

LIVESTOCK 

Hi Fin Red Banded Goby paired with  A. Randall pistol shrimp 

Yellow Clown Goby

2 Sexy Shrimp 

CORALS

Alien eye zoas

Generic green zoas

Small branching gsp

20190102_074326.jpg

20190126_121704.jpg

• Like 3

Cycle appears to be going faster than expected - ammonia was pretty much gone this morning (between 0 and .25 on APP I test) so I added Dr. Tim's ammonia to bring it back up to 2 ppm and will test ammonia and nitrates again tomorrow. 

We shifted scape so it is seen better from the side, since this is on a bedside table. 

Husband and I have agreed upon a Randalli pistol shrimp and either a high fin or yasha goby, and later a clown goby.  Still telling him no to other stocking - "No, we cannot put a sunken ship in the tank." "NO, we are NOT putting a diver on an air hose in the tank." "NO WE ARE NOT PUTTING A TREASURE CHEST THAT OPENS AND CLOSES IN THE TANK.,"

He may be getting his own bedside tank for his tacky tank treasures.

20190112_214052.jpg

• Haha 2

Aaaand we are cycled. Now for a water change and then the fun begins.

1st pic is from yesterday, after I dosed Dr. Tim's  ammonium

Next two pictures are today.

20190114_111618.jpg

20190115_150832.jpg

20190115_151827.jpg

Decided it would be easier and perhaps I would actually update this more often if I used one journal for both of our current tanks (not including the empty 75/25 cube system downstairs). 

So, here is the current state of our oldie but goodie Biocube 29, first started in 2014 when our Biocube 14 sprang a leak. Between general neglect of the larger system and the subsequent transfer back to this tank in April 2018, I lost most of my corals due to an alk spike. The purple mushrooms, 3 ricordias, orange acans,  some Rastas & generic green zoas survived. All but 1 ricordia are doing well. Slowly adding more soft and LPS corals, since this has just the stock lights. Have to move the frogspawn - it is growing and has great extension, but is losing color up on the top rock, and decide on a placement for the golden eye chalice. Our original saltwater fish, clowns Rick and Ilsa, are the only fish and will probably remain so - at 7 years old now, they deserve their own place. It also is home to 2 ancient snails (going on 4 years old) a nassarius and an astrea, 5 younger astrea and 1 well behaved emerald crab, along with around 7 mini brittle starfish. 

Not fancy, but enjoyable!

20190201_170410.jpg

20190201_181523.jpg

• Like 3
On 1/14/2019 at 11:35 PM, Newstead said:

Cycle appears to be going faster than expected - ammonia was pretty much gone this morning (between 0 and .25 on APP I test) so I added Dr. Tim's ammonia to bring it back up to 2 ppm and will test ammonia and nitrates again tomorrow. 

We shifted scape so it is seen better from the side, since this is on a bedside table. 

Husband and I have agreed upon a Randalli pistol shrimp and either a high fin or yasha goby, and later a clown goby.  Still telling him no to other stocking - "No, we cannot put a sunken ship in the tank." "NO, we are NOT putting a diver on an air hose in the tank." "NO WE ARE NOT PUTTING A TREASURE CHEST THAT OPENS AND CLOSES IN THE TANK.,"

He may be getting his own bedside tank for his tacky tank treasures.

20190112_214052.jpg

I had to laugh when I read about your hubby's tacky tank treasures!

I think the biocube is still looking nice.  I like LPS and softies because they are not so sensitive to alk spikes, that and they sway mesmerizingly in the flow.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Newstead said:

Decided it would be easier and perhaps I would actually update this more often if I used one journal for both of our current tanks (not including the empty 75/25 cube system downstairs). 

So, here is the current state of our oldie but goodie Biocube 29, first started in 2014 when our Biocube 14 sprang a leak. Between general neglect of the larger system and the subsequent transfer back to this tank in April 2018, I lost most of my corals due to an alk spike. The purple mushrooms, 3 ricordias, orange acans,  some Rastas & generic green zoas survived. All but 1 ricordia are doing well. Slowly adding more soft and LPS corals, since this has just the stock lights. Have to move the frogspawn - it is growing and has great extension, but is losing color up on the top rock, and decide on a placement for the golden eye chalice. Our original saltwater fish, clowns Rick and Ilsa, are the only fish and will probably remain so - at 7 years old now, they deserve their own place. It also is home to 2 ancient snails (going on 4 years old) a nassarius and an astrea, 5 younger astrea and 1 well behaved emerald crab, along with around 7 mini brittle starfish. 

Not fancy, but enjoyable!

20190201_170410.jpg

20190201_181523.jpg

gorgeous!

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Finally adding life to the Waterbox 10. Took it very slowly waiting out the diatom bloom. Yesterday added 3 very tiny sexy shrimp and a yellow clown goby that is less than 3/4 inch. But they are out and eating today, so fingers crossed! Any ideas on tiny foids, please share! I am chopping up LRS reef frenzy as small as I can for them.

• Like 1

Sadly, one of the sexy shrimp in the Waterbox was dead this afternoon. Hoped it was a molt, but no, it was the largest of the 3. Tested ammonia -0, nitrite - 0, nitrates 5 as usual.

Then I checked the Biocube and my new RFA, which had never attached to anything since arriving Tuesday, was spewing it's guts and folding under. 

Sigh, hope the other 2 shrimp make it! I HATE losing any living thing, and losing 2 in one day is just a bummer. 

• Sad 1

So far, all the other Waterbox inhabitants are doing well. The hi fin paired quickly with the pistol and comes put of their tunnel eagerly to eat.

I ordered V2 soft frozen eggs, caption egg cubes and frozen Cyclops since the gobies are so tiny. They LOVE the cyclops!

20190503_155607.jpg

20190503_073056.jpg

• Like 1

The hi fin comes out of the tunnel it shares with the pistol shrimp and hangs out with the ycg catching cyclops. The YCG is less than 3/4 inch, the hi fin a tiny bit over an inch, so the tiny Cyclops are perfect for them. Hoping they will help put some weight on them both, especially the tiny ycg.

• Like 1

Love the hi fin! 

The RFA you lost sounds like it may not have been well even before you got it - assuming shipping was just overnight. Healthy ones will attach when you add them to the tank. 

Did you call the vendor about it? 

• Like 1
10 hours ago, SeaFurn said:

The RFA you lost sounds like it may not have been well even before you got it - assuming shipping was just overnight. Healthy ones will attach when you add them to the tank. 

Did you call the vendor about it? 

You are right - evidently the foot was damaged in shipping because it was just floating in the bag and never would attach to anything. I did call Live Aquaria, emailed a pic and their customer service was amazing - refunded for both the anemone and 1 sexy shrimp, even though I didn't get a picture of his body (laid it on a piece of tissue and b4 I got back with phone to take a pic, husband had flushed it 😉 - I wasn't going to ask for a refund for it since I didn't have a pic, but when I mentioned it, they refunded that as well. Will never hesitate to order from them again. 

Everyone else doing great, and we think the sexy shrimp are a hoot.

• Like 1