Coral Vue Hydros

white corkscrew swimmer!

Mido

saw it at night time while feeding my scoly

it is very thin less than a mm and about maybe 5-8 mm long and swims in a corkscrew manner then stops and glides and then. swim again 

couldn't catch it ,,, any idea?

RayWhisperer

Probably an epitoke by the swimming description. About the only other thing I can think of that would swim in that fashion would be a lancelet. However, unless you just set up your tank with real, fresh, ocean collected live sand, that’s pretty much an impossibility.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
On 1/1/2019 at 1:33 AM, RayWhisperer said:

epitoke

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epitoky

Seems like this is just a polychete that's "gone sexual"....could even be bristleworms from the sound and pictures of it.  (All the pics on Wikipedia look like bristleworms.)

Is that right?

On 2/4/2019 at 7:05 PM, Jozefs a lizard said:

arrow worm

Can you guess it's a specific worm like this with any certainty?  I haven't heard of theses.

2 hours ago, mcarroll said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epitoky

Seems like this is just a polychete that's "gone sexual"....could even be bristleworms from the sound and pictures of it.  (All the pics on Wikipedia look like bristleworms.)

Is that right?

Yes. I guess the simplest way to describe it would be a portion of any polychaete worm that separates for reproductive purposes. 

They swim through the water in a corkscrew manner. 

Understand, this is just a best guess. Positive ID, in your case is likely going to prove impossible. An epitoke is just a "most likely" ID. While not often seen, they are very common.