Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

CSreefers Fluval Spec V

CSreefer

Hello all! This is my Spec V, It will be a mixed reef in the future, and it is a very nice budget system. I added a shrimp for 3 days to start the cycle, (the shrimp is store bought and dead).

Hardware

Fluval Spec V

Hydor 50w Heater

Stock Filtration

Stock Return Pump

Hipargero Light

Eventual Live Stock (Still Cycling)

Thor/Sexy Shrimp

Blood Red Cleaner Shrimp

Eventual Corals (Still Cycling)

Various Zoanthids and Palythoas

Montipora Capricornis (Red)

Green Star Polyp

Cyphastrea

Pics So Far!

Water In System

IMG_20181229_222850.thumb.jpg.6df5809c99a21b505a7972c52ed02591.jpg

IMG_20181230_095021.thumb.jpg.172ca3589945a1338caa006b166122b5.jpgWater In System Clarified

• Like 5
Christopher Marks

A zoa/paly tank sounds great, can't wait to see what you create! 🙂 

I'm surprised by the level of your tank, but it seems to be working out with the rear filter still flowing fine. If it were a larger tank I'd be more concerned, but at this size there's not as much water pressure.

• Thanks 1

I have the same tank. 

One thing I can recommend is upgrading the pump and filtration media.

The stock pump is weak and clogs quickly. 

I use the aqueon 600. It needs a 2 second mod but works like a charm with corals and doesn't clog.

Its silent too.

For filtration I made my own media basket. Use can use crafters mesh or eggcrate, all it takes is measuring, cutting, and zip ties.

The stock media and filter set up is designed for freshwater 

I put my heater is the chamber with the media basket so I made my basket a bit smaller.

I agree with Christopher, the water level is pretty high.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, CSreefer said:

Thanks Clown 79, much appreciated, the water level is in order to fully submerge the aquascape, I'm curious about what you run in your media basket. 

1 thing I really recommend with this tank is keeping a decent amount of room for cleaning.

It can get very difficult with certain aquascape since it's so narrow.

I just changed my aquascape fir that reason. Cleaning and coral growth.

I run filter floss, activated carbon, and purigen.

I do waterchanges 1 time every week to week and half. 

• Thanks 1

Quick update, the water level was fixed. I moved around the rocks and leveled the desk then drained some water. The scape wasn't as cool as before but I'm okay with that. Also clown 79 what is the reasoning behind putting the heater in the media chamber? Here's a pic of the new scape;

IMG_20181230_224950.jpg

• Like 2
2 hours ago, CSreefer said:

Quick update, the water level was fixed. I moved around the rocks and leveled the desk then drained some water. The scape wasn't as cool as before but I'm okay with that. Also clown 79 what is the reasoning behind putting the heater in the media chamber? Here's a pic of the new scape;

IMG_20181230_224950.jpg

It's not recommended to keep heaters in the return chamber. 

The hose touching the heater can be an issue and water level changes in the return chamber.

The aquascape looks good.

It looked good both ways.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Update, I attempted to make a custom media basket but failed on multiple fronts, I will try again later with acrylic. My water is cloudy even though it was clear earlier and my tank stinks. I'm guessing the water issues is due to the cycle, I'm taking the shrimp out tomorrow. Enjoy your new years celebration! 

55 minutes ago, CSreefer said:

Update, I attempted to make a custom media basket but failed on multiple fronts, I will try again later with acrylic. My water is cloudy even though it was clear earlier and my tank stinks. I'm guessing the water issues is due to the cycle, I'm taking the shrimp out tomorrow. Enjoy your new years celebration! 

Ya, the stink and cloudiness is due to the shrimp. It's a messy method of cycling, not only stinky but also high nutrients.

• Thanks 1

Alright, shrimp has been out of the tanks since yesterday and the tank has almost immediately cleared up. Still a bit of turbidity if it's looked at length wise but that's about it. If all goes well, I'll start stocking in February 

• Like 1

I have this tank.  I do a 2g water change every 2 weeks or so.  I put back in the foam filter and use seachem  matrix in a bag on top shelf and I bought chemipure blue, the 11 ounce size and media bags. I use a quarter of the jar each 3 to 4 months also in a media bag in bottom shelf of the foam.   In a tank this small be careful of the amount if rock you are using since it replaces a lot of water.   I clean the stock pump once a month but it's not very dirty since the foam traps a lot of detritus.  People say the foam block is a nitrate trap but I find it easy to remove and rinse.   I just rinse in tap water and the media in the tank water, during a water change. It's Just another viewpoint.  It's a fun little tank. I use a hydro 240 pump for added circulation. 

• Like 1

Quick update, positive nitrate test, and everything seems to be on track for February stocking. Water is completely clear even strait on. I think coral wise, I'll start with a small gsp frag on the back to "test the water" no pun intended

• Like 2

Once the nitrogen bubbles start to dissipate from the sand and rock.
 With ammonia and trites  in check,

Get some trochus snails in there to clean those diatoms up, before any algae can use it for food. 😉

I think it was the trick for me that avoided the Ugly Phase

My $0.02

• Like 1
On 1/23/2019 at 4:03 PM, D.Capion said:

Once the nitrogen bubbles start to dissipate from the sand and rock.
 With ammonia and trites  in check,

Get some trochus snails in there to clean those diatoms up, before any algae can use it for food. 😉

I think it was the trick for me that avoided the Ugly Phase

My $0.02

Thanks, cuc coming in February! I'm surprised how cheap cuc are from reef cleaners. Also the amount of snails the custom cleaner package recommended seemed a little much. But I don't know, really never dealt with a tank this size before