SaltCritters.com

60 gallon to 10 gallons--YEAR UPDATE!

IHaveADegreeInMarineBioBut

Hi everyone! I've been keeping saltwater fishtanks for probably 10 years, but was interrupted when I went to school for marine science. I've had a 60 gallon running for nearly that amount of time, but my last clownfish died (~7 years old!) and it's now just sitting empty apart from some crabs and who knows how many worms. 

I've been wanting to downgrade--as I'm getting out of the hobby and very ready to go back to a HOB filter from a sump--to something I could move my crabs to and get maybe 1-2 fish. SO today I bought an Aqueon 10 Gal LED Aquarium Kit (https://www.amazon.com/Aqueon-Fish-Aquarium-Starter-Gallon/dp/B01LCZMHPM).. The bare minimum I need to keep a little ecosystem; though I might buy a powerhead if the filter isn't strong enough. 

My question is will the basic LED lighting provided support any kind of coral? Any mushrooms or anything at all? Just to fill the space in the tank. 

Also, do you guys suggest filling the filter with a carbon pack or live rock/bioballs?

The tank is being tested for cracks tonight, but I should be moving the rock/water/sand over the next few days!

Thank you so much

Basic led will not be enough. They barely grow low light plants.

You could try low light mushrooms but they won't be colorful, basically brown sand eith some paly's.

You could do non photosynthetic corals.

I ran my 15g eith a seachem tidal and used a powerhead but I had corals.

In my hob filter reef systems I ran the following.

Filter floss- purchased in bulk, cut to size, switched out twice a week

Activated carbon- purchased media bags and large containers of seachem or kent carbon. Bags rinsed with weekly waterchanges and carbon  changed every 2-3 weeks

Purigen- bag rinsed weekly and purigen changed when it turns brown.

Bioballs aren't popular anymore and liverock rubble isn't really needed with liverock in the tank. It makes it difficult to keep the filter clean

• Like 2

Thanks @Clown79! I'll probably stick to a nice anemone then. And the live rock I have is covered with coralline so hopefully its not too barren.

I haven't been on a fish forum in easily 5 years and bioballs were all the rage back then! I also know a lot of people liked to make mini-sumps in their HOB so that's why I asked about the rock, but you're right that it's messy. I'll probably stick with the carbon. 

1 minute ago, IHaveADegreeInMarineBioBut said:

Thanks @Clown79! I'll probably stick to a nice anemone then. And the live rock I have is covered with coralline so hopefully its not too barren.

I haven't been on a fish forum in easily 5 years and bioballs were all the rage back then! I also know a lot of people liked to make mini-sumps in their HOB so that's why I asked about the rock, but you're right that it's messy. I'll probably stick with the carbon. 

Anemones need the same amount of light as corals, some require more light 

• Like 1

The only thing I would put under that light is sun corals..balanos...and dendros.. and you would need to stay on top of water parameters and feed them.

Definitely no anenome. They need high light.

• Like 2

Wow really? I've always been told they can live with weak lighting as long as they were supplemented with real food. 

Thanks for letting me know!

• Like 1
HookedOnAquariums
9 minutes ago, IHaveADegreeInMarineBioBut said:

Wow really? I've always been told they can live with weak lighting as long as they were supplemented with real food. 

That’s tube anemones. Expert only

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, IHaveADegreeInMarineBioBut said:

This isn't really low lighting...it's basically no lighting as far as corals are concerned. If the tank hasn't been delivered yet you could price together your own tank on the cheap to support corals. 

• Like 3
22 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

This isn't really low lighting...it's basically no lighting as far as corals are concerned. If the tank hasn't been delivered yet you could price together your own tank on the cheap to support corals. 

It's already in my garage being tested for cracks. I've never had luck with having lights -- always had ridiculous evaporation from the tank/condensation on the walls, so I definitely wanted something with a hood. I know that basically all good lights require an open top. 

I'm just trying to get the best bang for my buck I guess while making it the easiest fish tank ever (dunno why I would consider corals if I want something easy though). 

25 minutes ago, IHaveADegreeInMarineBioBut said:

It's already in my garage being tested for cracks. I've never had luck with having lights -- always had ridiculous evaporation from the tank/condensation on the walls, so I definitely wanted something with a hood. I know that basically all good lights require an open top. 

I'm just trying to get the best bang for my buck I guess while making it the easiest fish tank ever (dunno why I would consider corals if I want something easy though). 

No worries, you can always rip the top off if you ever change your mind. Even if you just add one sun coral, it would be a dramatic bright effect. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Tamberav said:

No worries, you can always rip the top off if you ever change your mind. Even if you just add one sun coral, it would be a dramatic bright effect. 

I might even have an old T5 somewhere if I reaaaallllly wanted. But I gotta get it up and running first! Thanks for all your help!

• Like 1

All clear! Ammonia is a little high as well as phosphates, but I guess that's what happens when you disturb the depths of your substrate after a few years. Just ordered a powerhead so that will be coming next week. IMG_1597.thumb.JPG.7fed9511241a6d1257afe04ae360d78a.JPG

• Like 3
20 minutes ago, IHaveADegreeInMarineBioBut said:

All clear! Ammonia is a little high as well as phosphates, but I guess that's what happens when you disturb the depths of your substrate after a few years. Just ordered a powerhead so that will be coming next week. IMG_1597.thumb.JPG.7fed9511241a6d1257afe04ae360d78a.JPG

Ya, reusing old sand without fully washing it isn't recommended due to ammonia, phos, nitrates etc.

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, banasophia said:

Looks really nice so far, and I came in here mainly cuz I wanted to say I like your username. 🙂  Looking forward to following along. 

hahahah yeah my career trajectory is a bit of a mess, but that's another thread.

• Haha 2

Since I've never done such a small tank, I've never really had to pay attention to size of fish.. so may I ask you guys for stocking suggestions? 

I think I'll comfortably go with at least one clownfish, maybe a pair. But then I maybe wanted a goby/blenny? However I don't really know the species too well.. I don't know, I'm up for any stocking suggestions. Thank you!

skyscraper2290

Hifin or a Yasha goby would be great paired with a pistol shrimp! Firefish, clown goby, and some smaller blennies I think would work too if you are still looking for fish ideas.

edit: for typo 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, IHaveADegreeInMarineBioBut said:

Since I've never done such a small tank, I've never really had to pay attention to size of fish.. so may I ask you guys for stocking suggestions? 

I think I'll comfortably go with at least one clownfish, maybe a pair. But then I maybe wanted a goby/blenny? However I don't really know the species too well.. I don't know, I'm up for any stocking suggestions. Thank you!

There's a fish stocking guide, maybe in the beginner forum? That has recommendations and would be a good starting point. I love my pink streaked wrasse, kinda like a six line but nicer and shyer.

• Like 2

Thanks everyone! Yeah I'm in between the clown and watchman or just 2 clowns... we'll see.

Finally finished taking apart the 60 gallon 😞 sad to see it go but so nice to have something smaller

IMG_1599.thumb.JPG.c41dc7ee3aa5be81f1c01e87a4b1ddb7.JPG

Everything in the new tank is testing good! Still a little ammonia and the slightest bit of nitrites. Phosphates have gone down. Calcium is a little low. But it's stabilizing!

• Like 2

All parameters were reading at zero the past few days, and the powerhead came. I have it off for right now because it's a little overpowering (530 gph) for the tiny clown I picked up the other day and I'm afraid it'll get stuck in the intake slots. So I'm thinking to maybe put pantyhose around it? Not sure just yet. Also need to see if a different place works better. Need to do some maintenance. Replace the water from all the testing I've been doing.. water change entirely, etc.  

IMG_1633.JPG

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, IHaveADegreeInMarineBioBut said:

All parameters were reading at zero the past few days, and the powerhead came. I have it off for right now because it's a little overpowering (530 gph) for the tiny clown I picked up the other day and I'm afraid it'll get stuck in the intake slots. So I'm thinking to maybe put pantyhose around it? Not sure just yet. Also need to see if a different place works better. Need to do some maintenance. Replace the water from all the testing I've been doing.. water change entirely, etc.  

IMG_1633.JPG

530gph may be high in a 10g, depending on corals you plan on keeping.

Its 53 times turnover which is suited for sps.

• Like 2
Chris's Fishes

Not sure it's the GPH that determines how much flow is too much flow in these small tanks (within reason) - I think it's the way the flow is outputted.

If you have a 530 GPH powerhead in a ten gallon that pushes all of the water through a 3/4" opening, then it's just going to jet across the tank and throw fish around.

If you take that same powerhead and push the water through a larger opening and disperse the flow a bit, you won't have issues, IME.

I've got an AC 30 and a Koralia Nano 425 in my standard 10 gallon, and that's a total of 575 GPH. The tank could still handle a bit more, and I think it's just due to how the flow is released.

Anyway, the whole point of that was to say that you should look into the Koralia Nano pumps, if you need to accommodate the clown.