ReefCleaners.org

Project Resurrection - reef-cleaners order(s), crabby cove and 10 gallon...oh my!-

CD_Scapes

3 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

What happened?

It’s just a lot of work, and my parents limit me to one tank. I might have to take down my 10 gallon to my get a 5 gallon fully stocked evo for $20

6 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

So you would be down sizing but still reefing. A fully stocked evo 5 sounds nice.

Yes, I would downsize from a basic 10 gallon to a salt 5 gallon, which this tank is very stable only needing water changes once every few months. Here’s the first look at the tank

CDEEF22F-0925-4354-8E50-64D89D2714C5.jpeg

• Like 2
  • CD_Scapes changed the title to Project Resurrection *Five gallon Evo!*

Went to my LFS to pick up a refractometer and my left with 2 zoanthid colonies and a lone palythoa grandis frag. Got my refractometer from petco and saw some red Firefish that had really purple faces. it had me thinking, could I put a lone Firefish in my 5 gallon? The LFS has a nice green clown goby that was eating frozen food so that’s always another option. Lastly, I’m trading some of my mushrooms for more Palythoa today, and my nassarius snail made an appearance!

FB52CEB3-5C0A-463B-BEEC-71F0771CD07C.jpeg

029AF6BF-57E1-45F7-9670-681A5D2137D1.jpeg

D5A5AAF6-9BEF-4193-B423-F25BBD43D917.jpeg

• Like 3

Neat little pico you've got here! I like your choice to go with Halimeda macroalgae; it looks very natural.

1 hour ago, 9darlingcalvi said:

Got my refractometer from petco and saw some red Firefish that had really purple faces. it had me thinking, could I put a lone Firefish in my 5 gallon? The LFS has a nice green clown goby that was eating frozen food so that’s always another option.

I think a clown goby would be much happier in a little tank like this than a firefish would, since they are so tiny and spend a lot of time perching on top of things. Firefish also can be jumpy, so you'd need to make sure you have a lid.

• Thanks 1
9 minutes ago, billygoat said:

Neat little pico you've got here! I like your choice to go with Halimeda macroalgae; it looks very natural.

I think a clown goby would be much happier in a little tank like this than a firefish would, since they are so tiny and spend a lot of time perching on top of things. Firefish also can be jumpy, so you'd need to make sure you have a lid.

That’s what I was also thinking, will probably do a clown goby and then some green porcelain crabs with skunk cleaner instead of my evil peppermint shrimp. Originally i was thinking a jaguar goby but I don’t feel comfortable getting a fish that has little Info on it

We are getting some fish! I know I shouldn’t but I’m getting the jaguar goby and a tailspot blenny! The jaguar was the original stock but the tailspot is $10 so I’m getting the jaguar and tailspot for $40 total! 

College Prep

Last Friday I registered for my first semester of college!!! I will be attending Bemidji State for Aquatic Biology. It was a fun and little bit scary time, I signed up for(if any of you care) Gen chem, composition, math reasoning, understanding politics, digital photography and FYRE (first year experience class). I also don’t have to take the intro to bio classes as I’m doing them right now for dual credit! I’m secured to start college and it will be a fun time. 

The goby

Well after seeing the jaguar goby, I decided to not get him. I was expecting a fish that was around 1-1 1/2” inches but when I saw the fish it was around 1/2”!!! I didn’t trust my newb skills to care for such a small fish. I know the LFS ordered it and I should have got it but I didn’t feel comfortable to take home a fish that small

The new guy(s)

I did get a fish though, they had a nice tailspot blenny for $20 and it was eating so I decided that will be the fish that I get! The blenny has settled in nicely, he ate a few chunks of herbivore “gel” frozen food. He has also settled in a little cave near the seafoam Palythoa. While I was also there I saw a Pom Pom crab, which I’ve wanted for a while after seeing the 3 gallon bowl TOTM. I picked up 3 cerith snails and an astrea snail as well. My LFS also threw some brown zoas, some mushrooms, and a chunk of grubes gorgonia for free!

The future “roadmap”

I talked with my LFS about a “roadmap” for my tank, or a stocking guide schedule for the tank; here’s what we came up with for my tank.

Constant goals:

Keep/maintain stable parameters

More palythoas/zoas

More macros 

Next week:

Receive macro algea and playthoa from inlandreefer

A month down:

Pick up a “designer” hermit crab, maybe a Halloween or blue knuckle

Rock flower anemone could be introduced, if I get one at this time then I’ll get a pair of anemone shrimp

Feather duster or coco worm?

A few months later:

More gorgonians!

Possibly some porcelain crabs

A Hi-fin goby and pistol shrimp pair?

I will post the pictures of all my pickups and an FTS soo as well!

• Like 3
  • CD_Scapes changed the title to Project Resurrection *New Pics and FTS*

Well the tank is a month old and it’s a new month so a new FTS is inbound! This tank has been a blast so far, there was a diatom bloom for a few weeks and then it disappeared. If the lights are on for too long then they will reappear on the glass, which gives food for the blenny, snails and copepods. A few noteworthy, things have happened with this tank for the month I’ve had it.

First off the halimeda went sexual which was a first for me, I didn’t know it could do that. Not much happened with that situation as it doesn’t realize nutrients like caulerpa. Second, I traded some mushrooms for some zoas and playthoa frags. My peppermint shrimp murdered my soft tube feather dusters around the same time. Most recently I got a tailspot blenny, grubes gorg and Pom Pom crab. The blenny eats marine gel food and the diatoms on the glass, I don’t scrape the back glass so he has something to graze one. This week or next week I’ll be getting some more macroalgae and maybe some more palys.

OXzz3yunYv_Rw_KcOayOpm89N4iB_i_HxcDPMkRC3rzTGwA6wxlgRigwmtbECl4CU_HQEv3Y1eKm9sm7SgcS933mlZ2QfVh-GTvndYlyo1QqdNopyzh-FlEYWPGeHo2bz78KaVeQ

CFTS? (Corner full tank shot)

rhOibIcdvaJpM0wkv_M6E_Ve9Dv8YMFaC-L7NcHnqBgd8c0pNj6mEKQya7O2AUwcMmrAauHBG6vmtSYjggUYcrNai493Kfzkkg-NGQwl6lQzp6lRXDyHllthXMu2sAJbsUHhWz6e

New paly (LFS calls them “firework” palys)

FUpeNCrv8dSY-m-ur2zA5mn6Oa3cV1hpA7Dydmj7AzWv_Fu0x9C5msdFKMg6KxmB4E3_TVuAFZfO7hEsZ6-O4xq3qwJQa7bpkjFfNSX1JPP4kGIgWli6FKFK07bhkLI46A27T_Ne

New macro, dicyota sp

iK_Yr5Ex2yTzV76dlx8QHN-P_b-r8DkalJUUgFuq6ATGmHTSfN7xfm3_XbuKW2V1_FUIWNwtSecMEsUBxvhhSvp9Jav4PFCuy0ePdYFToseEvrg12XCwU5G_UkZqMksSVgoeNTqy

Baby Palythoa grandis

SEhEaETZ5nLQ7zedFr_ELL2tqiVMq8x1ZaJgvXzIEcuz28qtMEQW0DzucGyuC70KXgHgDNt3e4oQDy7_ZmufG8qhZAKbMisbLqwIB89jrzr-HGCgB4opQPtyOj2gLrrh6mPjIH1m

GSP and halimeda showing growth tips

2-hJxCDDPj1KOEC2miBCHGb6v5OsFX4cfLlvDS_aiPI9FcLbJWxfsOBUGgiKyFCCewoeblviuMhVOznBEvdUxs6jcBSf6_tEdYIb_YzxdzIsjoMrB7M73yqad2k5ZVt0UO-pKfFy

Blue/green mushrooms with neon blue dots

hv8fStctxi4ooU0e2AmsU39bNG_Az8K-Vq91-Os-h9Huj13egwEJLt_5pJTXX3JufTR6OqCBCse1XJdWMLcS2JHw5F16znsSF-ITEdBEr7SbzrDoHELqApQgPFInWQfN8XW4voKk

Cinnamon brown zoas with pineapple sponge

hgUHYeQYfqjmeCVY6JPmj4FoQo9c7zB2UTIxTZDwpMRG_IheearwUCmRTUEGzd7Be3-wv-K4AB6VhF-gSGImOzC1JW2Kl9BggQHufPahGI2CKrmByMsOwfwDs_SxKGPE1HIlvkGI

Fire and ice zoa? with nerite snail

FwT3ukaHyny9tLqgwDjMk1DiCe1y7wkl0mkwr4EUCGCCZEMXF1QnW6wtxm-a1jwATADxaYYNoviTrFUXpb57LsOQOEK5gEgNcGhRLqltwbriEk1noFSpaf89YNFKRH7gs38iaku8Seafoam palys

biBAUM-4Dl8H7mRpp1ZvIoOHYtEn8oD3OGTVtoJ9t3xK8h6eplKL7B1rDuhKVqw-yA36WOO1vBkZBLoUFC5bnI8OCXIis3p8fExfihhMUjTVS0AL3A0YZcE2G4gTSHpNdm8Jg22x

Grubes gorgonian

utaHhEVrrwHQ9NXHTPkY1VUjnAYcBHfMvzfBubdL8KDUKod04YIjqkIC6MlcSwz64ga5wstIM4QRx77CUxKJZAiyt3jTIx_NHKxjkRzC_0swCTsO7TsCAoTJA42I7L8aiXi_G6Lf

Seafoam palys with Palythoa mutuki

FyVxzxkYV-_0ByLHNFh-lZ6eQM2X0MfgmhgINy3R2tSWy4p08QQSNfWaPLHrAL-1V3L1OGOEhcLT-dikle2UknePO1BSyklZQOAhDkM-N34NXZc1rNFVVK1JjCcPqvG5R5W3LSbf

Tailspot blenny in his home

K-8syOItz6FlAovHQS2cviXsatA5gX1A2xX6V3AOaldf4IwypD_7fflmST77prVAiArX7EnK5XtOxWtn9e58KXOGwtzub1Zway5b3hsosttO5UEbTQcCu8INTjCBTSWvqJZ-cw_K

Yellow and green palys with purple plating sponge

• Like 3
  • Wow 1

Very nice! Macros can be so unpredictable; looks like you still have plenty halimeda though, hope the rest takes off for you. I really like the low profile scape - very natural and very roomy for such a small tank.

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

Very nice! Macros can be so unpredictable; looks like you still have plenty halimeda though, hope the rest takes off for you. I really like the low profile scape - very natural and very roomy for such a small tank.

Thanks, I’ll have to keep the macros in check for sure. I’m adding more gorgs I think soon

35 minutes ago, billygoat said:

Lookin' good in there! I really like your aquascape, and all the mushrooms and zoas look great! Love those seafoam palys 🌊

Thanks! I think it look super disorganized 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • CD_Scapes changed the title to Project Resurrection *¿Pest tank?*
CD_Scapes

Alright, I'm picking up some more stuff this weekend and was curious as to if a tiger pistol will kill my pom pom crab and peppermint shrimp?

• CD_Scapes changed the title to Project Resurrection - 20 Days till graduation!?!-
CD_Scapes

Well, I didn't get to the LFS because....I WENT TO PROM! It was a great time but I didn't get home until 3am Sunday 😂

• Like 2
CD_Scapes

New Scape

If any of you remember how the tank looked like an inland drop off tank, except the very top looked more sunken in and a jumbled mess of frags. My khaki green palythoa started bleaching from too high light, so I moved them lower. The other problem was that the 2 stalks of Kenyan tree caught caught under a rock, causing them to die off. So, I rearranged all of this and moving the xenia frag to a better/lower location. I decided to add another rock to create the “apex” and allow the eye to follow up the “hill” when looking peninsula style as well as balancing the left and right side rock wise. The last thing I wanted with this new look was to add this small shelf piece to the structure. I think I finally achieved the look I’m going for, the rock is very white and not coated in algae. I think the scape is going to stay and I really like the shelf, but now I need a way to lock the rocks in place when I move the tank. I also found a cool mushroom with larger neon green and blue dots. Sorry for the cloudy pics, I stirred up a lot of “junk”.

Side Shot

rnEmgbhLO1CsGnSjKpYAT29iqO-exfyT4LT__9a332FxtC4SW5uCpuJLPoMnROAlC3Ps2L5nG92kSPQXH516bOcU2K3xM0W46sf65ZygYeJu_koqhJWgmNJzOjrNMtYYIgT0NFPR

“Front” Shot

3qbNIT5NpyUK7JDNesP8NMTgg2ZtnidBTzg1cLl6iUnyd4AA5315Fp3y_X8nTK0vbSHI6YG6pbQIiEndLD4kck9XiiDobK5WjQjZOTQk6b_NKMfNoVtjntxlxAhNQavUdQkiJUG7

Care Package Inbound

My Care package from the wonderful Inland_reef should be coming in the coming week, I’m super grateful for the support of fellow hobbyists. This is truly a great hobby, I’m so happy I got back into this and seriously this time. Although he had a terrible thing happen to him the past weekend! His tank Zoa nudibranch invasion!!! Still don’t know the total damage but it doesn’t look good 😞 Even after that event Inland_reef said he’d still send out my stuff. I’m getting a few gorg species, come macros, palythoa mutuki (I think), and some palys on either a chalice or acan sp.

More mushrooms?

I talked with my LFS owner again and we talked about the idea of the “pest” or invasive coral tank, he assured that he had lots of mushrooms, softies and some more palys/zoas for me to pick up. Hopefully I can get over there on Thursday after school, while I’m there I might pick up a hermit or two and maybe a pistol shrimp or some other invert.

CAVE GONE!!!!

I woke up Saturday or Sunday morning, I don’t remember which day Prom blended all the days together, upon waking up I saw Cave my Peppermint shrimp shed. I did not see him that night, but did not think much of it. It’s been a few more days and now I think he actually was maybe attacked by my Pom Pom while he was soft and then the Nassarius/Bristle worm crew finished him off. I guess it’s bittersweet as now I can get feather dusters, but it was always fun to see him in the cave. RIP Cave 5/7/2019 go eat more feather duster noodles in your new life.

• Like 3
WV Reefer
47 minutes ago, 9darlingcalvi said:

New Scape

If any of you remember how the tank looked like an inland drop off tank, except the very top looked more sunken in and a jumbled mess of frags. My khaki green palythoa started bleaching from too high light, so I moved them lower. The other problem was that the 2 stalks of Kenyan tree caught caught under a rock, causing them to die off. So, I rearranged all of this and moving the xenia frag to a better/lower location. I decided to add another rock to create the “apex” and allow the eye to follow up the “hill” when looking peninsula style as well as balancing the left and right side rock wise. The last thing I wanted with this new look was to add this small shelf piece to the structure. I think I finally achieved the look I’m going for, the rock is very white and not coated in algae. I think the scape is going to stay and I really like the shelf, but now I need a way to lock the rocks in place when I move the tank. I also found a cool mushroom with larger neon green and blue dots. Sorry for the cloudy pics, I stirred up a lot of “junk”.

Side Shot

rnEmgbhLO1CsGnSjKpYAT29iqO-exfyT4LT__9a332FxtC4SW5uCpuJLPoMnROAlC3Ps2L5nG92kSPQXH516bOcU2K3xM0W46sf65ZygYeJu_koqhJWgmNJzOjrNMtYYIgT0NFPR

“Front” Shot

3qbNIT5NpyUK7JDNesP8NMTgg2ZtnidBTzg1cLl6iUnyd4AA5315Fp3y_X8nTK0vbSHI6YG6pbQIiEndLD4kck9XiiDobK5WjQjZOTQk6b_NKMfNoVtjntxlxAhNQavUdQkiJUG7

Care Package Inbound

My Care package from the wonderful Inland_reef should be coming in the coming week, I’m super grateful for the support of fellow hobbyists. This is truly a great hobby, I’m so happy I got back into this and seriously this time. Although he had a terrible thing happen to him the past weekend! His tank Zoa nudibranch invasion!!! Still don’t know the total damage but it doesn’t look good 😞 Even after that event Inland_reef said he’d still send out my stuff. I’m getting a few gorg species, come macros, palythoa mutuki (I think), and some palys on either a chalice or acan sp.

More mushrooms?

I talked with my LFS owner again and we talked about the idea of the “pest” or invasive coral tank, he assured that he had lots of mushrooms, softies and some more palys/zoas for me to pick up. Hopefully I can get over there on Thursday after school, while I’m there I might pick up a hermit or two and maybe a pistol shrimp or some other invert.

CAVE GONE!!!!

I woke up Saturday or Sunday morning, I don’t remember which day Prom blended all the days together, upon waking up I saw Cave my Peppermint shrimp shed. I did not see him that night, but did not think much of it. It’s been a few more days and now I think he actually was maybe attacked by my Pom Pom while he was soft and then the Nassarius/Bristle worm crew finished him off. I guess it’s bittersweet as now I can get feather dusters, but it was always fun to see him in the cave. RIP Cave 5/7/2019 go eat more feather duster noodles in your new life.

I think it looks great. 😀

• Thanks 1
CD_Scapes
12 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

I think it looks great. 😀

Thanks! I love your 12 gallon long and the new pico

• Like 1
billygoat
1 hour ago, 9darlingcalvi said:

New Scape

Side Shot

“Front” Shot

Care Package Inbound

More mushrooms?

CAVE GONE!!!!

This is awesome and I am lovin' it! Here's hoping you can put it together again just like this after you move it, 'cause it looks amazin'! 😁

• Thanks 1
CD_Scapes
1 minute ago, billygoat said:

This is awesome and I am lovin' it! Here's hoping you can put it together again just like this after you move it, 'cause it looks amazin'! 😁

Thanks!!! Lowkey want a carpet nem 😂

i just don’t want my blenny to die

CD_Scapes

yOl5xfzuBOGY8oh8IXrCKJxwwCeKKfdgqWnFKdq8ADVzhHZxHA6h9QkQmMP0Afs-jlPJCk7AfcWaEXfTddoWcMt5JHFzvTV0lgp0MxaO4Xp-E9_zQzan_xd2B9q1sbUfjsR2BAq_

Grube’s gorgonian with nearly full PE and maybe some growth?

tbxg5826oYEU_MzfW8LqzW46UJOwcpWZBdLGi-CTj0xCptKZp0UAjfSZsKZLqnWwuR64UD7q44ZjBOM17YLjxjV_gNNUvMpIEIsJyiqva85kOOmlkjORQTFR-y3f5kOU4gC3640k

The Xenia is growing fast, there are also lots of mini tube worms

12I3JHLySgyqZSTQ2UdID3yctS1AtviDJD9oGz2rS6kVmpJvpV4l95ym_jnDiOhloahWVN8WMKuFQkTOoRBEEnjvGvIvVmujDr2vte87ySwfYyt8erzaYGHlCPl1goF1yQREG5cx

The Kenyan tree has all 3 stalks out with mostly full PE

jBuGB0UAkTujJAVoF-jrp-CPf5_uyRPAfOur8WGQPLq0jvWTirYGLtDRona3RyUXiS_ezO3Oib1oFStZyDL7QzfZUEb_NC7I7tlC7l-MnpklxeQnEWwnUsR_hEi6VQ92NCNniUVy

The sponge is growing and twisting, the palys are bleaching and the cabbage coral is coming out

gTt99Rq9NZSnHs_Q5m4BP9PY8qDDST8UW22Ccnq7l1DbTpJRsxhmZP6C1YQ4Ubjlbdn8rvVZBnJV6wFlAgM6NiN5G2WEAAFbUH7XzNJwCtPHJ9I5pRo_R2pjmO9-4BN354StvFbt

The GSP got flung (will move later) and the palythoa mutuki is green again!

8CKA9OnLSsGI-OZkBLEZjGySjYAJQA4P1qYvrmjBcl5w5Jrk5xeTpiugy9foIUfHR8ZT6eGmGHiDrRUxj-bGRZ76WTCo3ECREMQcmyQna1vE-UtNGPXGe0KSmE34vRb4r-_RMsCG

Lastly there is this mushroom! It has large green bumps and some neon blue ones as well! Found it behind the big, main, rock

• Like 2
  • Wow 2
  • CD_Scapes changed the title to Project Resurrection - 10 gallon biotope? -