Northwoodsreefer

Project Resurrection - 10 gallon biotope? -

Northwoodsreefer

FTS 3/29/19

xmKHTat1iWoIlmQ1gVFPkSgIV9IBjB_HNs7rF4ElDxhkmf2KWHKaIJJ1bRv3rpvbFu9FTp1cfQNo-UvtWK5k0ryScd4eEsb6Y-3kJXjQpWsZGsOelTj2J06CbTOb2sh6UcSB8B2K

FTS 4/7/19

jIJoFi3rb4KQVPgIRXOguxOoRVwEHGh0DPfmacosF2NIPHdp0EShnWuWfrDbg_ziTT3W9EIsbjjab5jVQsZha4F3QYCRivOHi31SEbPU5T-XhL_buxhh5bU3hjdmI96g326AjvS3

FTS 5/1/19

OXzz3yunYv_Rw_KcOayOpm89N4iB_i_HxcDPMkRC3rzTGwA6wxlgRigwmtbECl4CU_HQEv3Y1eKm9sm7SgcS933mlZ2QfVh-GTvndYlyo1QqdNopyzh-FlEYWPGeHo2bz78KaVeQ

Tank:

Fluval Evo 5 with glass top

Rolling file cabinet “Sticker wall of fame”

Equipment:

1st chamber- coarse sponge, carbon, filter floss, rubble, chaeto

2nd chamber- stock pump and heater

Light- Wave Point 12” 16 watt Super blue and 1000k whites

Current USA Ramp Pro (added 4/25/19)

Heater- Hydor Theo

Stock pump

2nd Pump- Internal 80 gph pump

Hydrometer- Instant Ocean  

Refractometer

Livestock as of 4/29/2019

Fish:

NONE - future plans -

ORA Jaguar goby

Tailspot blenny

~5 lbs rock

1” sand bed

Current Inverts:

Peppermint shrimp “Cave” RIP 5/7/2019

Pom Pom Crab

Nerite snail

Nassarius Snail

3 x Cerith Snails

Stomella snail

Astrea Snail

Photosynthetic purple sponge

Feather dusters (RIP 4/15/19) Caves dinner

Future Inverts:

Porcelain crab

Rock flower anemone

Hard tube feather duster

Corals:

GSP

Kenyan Tree

Blue/Green mushrooms

Red mushroom

Palythoa mutuki

seafoam Palyhtoa

Green/tan Palythoa 

Finger leather

Cabbage coral

clove

Orange skirt zoas

lavender zoas

Grubes Gorgonia

angular sea whip?

Purple blade gorg?

Corky finger gorg?

Traded for more palythoa

Neon green spotted mushrooms 

Neon green mushrooms

Florida Ricordea

Green fuzzy mushroom

Future corals:

More Kenyan tree

Photosynthetic gorgs

Macroalgae:

Halimeda opuntia

Dictyota sp.

Red gracilaria macro

Blue hypena

Mermaids fan?

Red thick branching macro

Dragons breath macro (melted 4/22/19)

The Process

This project has been in the works since around Black Friday of 2018, I bought the Aqueon 2.5 Mini Bow aquarium to create a coldwater biotope. That tank was minutely successful, the tank stayed around 76 degrees with no corals, only a few species of macro as well as some feather dusters, a hermit crab, nerite snail, and a peppermint shrimp. After a while, the light cycle was too long and Green hair algae took over. Around mid-January, the tank was taken down and I was out of a marine tank until around February when I was given a tetra 1.5 floating cube. The cube tank lasted a few weeks but was too hard to stabilize, so that tank was also taken down. I was out of a reef tank up until the end of March where after doing an internship at my LFS an employee was getting rid of her 5-gallon spec reef. I decided to take up the offer as the tank was already mature and ready to be brought back to life. She did say that the tank was in bad shape, I did not know just how bad until I went to go pick it up.

Project resurrection

The goal for this was to get back into the reef goby after a short stint away as well as bring new life to the 5-gallon spec. The tank was LOADED with bubble algae, every rock had 20-30 cells. I tried to scrub off the rocks outside of the tank but later got a new rock. The glass was also covered in coralline which was removed with a razor blade if all of that wasn’t bad then the sand was a trap full of silty detritus. I stirred up the bed accidentally and it took a day to clear, so I changed out the sand bed as well. The portion of GHA in the upper left was removed and razor bladed as well. Now that the tank was clean, I mixed up some new water to do a 70% water change. HaEsL08qnZUFeRfDYw8FE8qAfrDktgcEJoJfIM7ND9fAkkT3HqHzmd3l8tw7TbYPDd2hFsHZ7fNieLzH6sGbJVPPP7ds-K_BkXrDAqTNMHWzgMb5KfrA_M4yozfjW7gAULJ1CNGn

That’s where the mistake happened, I made my own tap saltwater (I know not optimal) and by doing that I forgot the conditioner and poisoned all my corals!UlPEJEqiba00fumONNkTgn5KjJuNQvc8FqSDUBcCTzulaY-bInHqlGUiaWQ27AgaxkuC8q3HR9u7cdoGAya_U_A18YRwG7ck22um4LetBZg30EUvkB6vL4CaGbq8-4nNZcsziWxV

The “OG” layout, note the slight cloudiness due to coral melting

I threw everything in a bucket and put them at our local marine lab to recover. I got the tank re-set up around the 6th of April with some leaf macro and a dragon's breath.sgd9NUWT7vWe2z5Ee-pixgan3J40n4EWkhxEFaN2v08TbKuHL2GONY5QekUzCaSpD-xQugHnUim4CWEAvs28umI958ieWfg3eMNvwf-A_G2tnltQcuK23BfJ122TMM4vc9q7psV_

Before macro stocking

yrJjjHN_zk7n1YeTpWwzIO5Ng-cPdTDIt9GlovTDF9_fmy7KEFU5xlsV77aswEDus7zdX08TSDIBCvc6KGrBTX5eWNg7-SLIMf9F9JPryXPAioqdzMJZ7qFZmBsaUTkSgE_KETBM

Then I go to the marine lab to find out someone unplugged my holding tank and most of the corals except a tiny portion of Xenia and a couple of mushrooms made it...ugh! If all that wasn’t bad my leaf algea went sexual and almost crashed my tank for the second time…

MFOuD5Jsqx6HQlzn_rZxyubXIGd8FsVM-kcELMTeFw7zcSTGe67iFGz6OPSm5DScGctdsOn8pYkLFjORmgXDC5wrYV_ZyO_rvvRJ8qHuGYaMqUgIYdSwyvNlIfT5U8oHp0AxeJXa

Phase 1 Restock (April)

Well, now it’s the calm before the (hopefully not another) storm. I let the tank have a breather period of 1-2 weeks and then added a red mushroom and GSP. I am currently only using the corner pump as the stock has too much flow and blew the mushrooms around. A week after the first stocking I got some more mushrooms and a peppermint shrimp, with that stocking, also came a nerite snail and nassarius snailYmKYyhbnKjAqskfS8c7KfNhujAKaF19grwwmj57OGnWhWOHwsG5jv_u4O3A7HhFn1Wb69I2KxC-BK4oEe9DrLuQDnATokOjMrlYZ_ZzMpuY0tPo8KATzL8afl9q2gm6xgFvPQtC6Ujuu9MW1GSmuiZZ428FnBxf-ds4cXB-qjKxd07Jaan48RzOIWGRA2M3DKN4FmCLgVQtr9DwuwOWUTbct45CnCrZ7H87FIjDH9jFD_30IATdHdnVawI3VxunE513V9eA6wnpdh-rpWGHpQ4zoDO-cBxqxvPXHfvslILztsq7ei0fanJb7YwG_xIQqslWqlOibmEm2C49DracTVhbf9gHcxSfDnin7RzNFgZyOLz60ButuYzRHr24NaAatjmWc3fEzPyuU_d-IrUGkCs14

New favorite mushrooms

24hvW09cyCCo63bCsRKsSfFlR-C7AYihZmpn1z5k9x6X5dvx40ulJG_fPmCaBhOp4oiCOcWppDAHeXkPwu4UYG0DhAIMS08FI0YAEKK63rF2mmQRzE5MTKCZocc7mtfpXiJMUNYO

Ricordea

_bWSOr7uAmkDB4GMzJySP2d1u33AN1yQpI2Fe4LMQZj4rE3DbsGYMyAyQIwYgVEZK4uDgcycEoEoWql_H74zXtOJR5QMeN9G3KyH06jx6HVi8QepsrMYA28BddafqDCq-P4oeytw

The devil peppermint shrimp

7uyUin3T1cHavKCb9RYCnYy0P99bn6erypoqQ6IXtym3FvSnkApTJVWk8dFlPWO6SosfjOHrs2bCbqWgDK1WheNbcH8bEWjQeUD9lBnAmhQx1evfDyA6g12odrg0awsjWsgkhpAx

Future plans

I think for now I just need to let it grow out and watch things mature. This is coming with me to college this upcoming Fall so that will be a fun time moving! I will be getting a shipment of some macro algae from Inland reefer on Instagram (thanks dude!) after that maybe some gorgonians and Palythoa. I will be getting a refractometer soon as it was payday on Monday, maybe I’ll pick up a few hermits and snails. Thanks for reading all of this! Updates will be when I get new stuff and possibly a monthly re-cap!

• Like 7

Northwoodsreefer

I think I’m going with a pair of Pom poms and a trio of sexies, do sexy shrimp NEED an anemone or would it be fine in a photosynthetic gorg or Xenia?

• Like 1

WV Reefer
1 hour ago, 9darlingcalvi said:

I think I’m going with a pair of Pom poms and a trio of sexies, do sexy shrimp NEED an anemone or would it be fine in a photosynthetic gorg or Xenia?

Sexy shrimp don’t need anything. They’ll hang out wherever. 🙂

Northwoodsreefer

Perfect! Trio of sexies and a Pom Pom crab....hopefully

Northwoodsreefer

Well the mini heater worked for like 2 days and now the tank is back at 70 degrees! Guess I’ll be looking for 2 new heaters as I setup a 5 gallon least killifish tank

Lula_Mae

I like the Archea heater offered by Aqua Forest Aquarium.  It's slender and small and fits in bitty tanks.  I prefer the 25w but they were out of stock last I checked.  They do have a 50w version though (not sure if the size is different).  It's got an external thermostat for control.

Northwoodsreefer

I might try to get that, the only problem is I don’t have a card to buy stuff online

Lula_Mae
6 hours ago, 9darlingcalvi said:

I might try to get that, the only problem is I don’t have a card to buy stuff online

It's been a while since I ordered, but they might take Paypal.  If you have a bank account you can connect it to your Paypal for online purchases.

Northwoodsreefer
4 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

It's been a while since I ordered, but they might take Paypal.  If you have a bank account you can connect it to your Paypal for online purchases.

For real? What the heck!

Lula_Mae
7 hours ago, 9darlingcalvi said:

For real? What the heck!

Yep!  I do think paypal likes 2 different forms of payment connected (I used two bank accounts) but it's a great way to be able to buy things online relatively safely if you don't have a card.  I'd rather log into paypal than go find my purse, dig out my wallet, and find my card lol.

• Like 1

Northwoodsreefer

I don’t know how much longer this tank will be around, might have to take it down

• Sad 3

Northwoodsreefer

Here’s the current state, lots of microalgae growth even with reduced lighting and minimal feeding 

F4DCBCF3-EF1C-4568-90F0-4AF4C593A175.jpeg

• Like 2

Northwoodsreefer

All things must come to an end, good bye 2.5 Marco tank. It was fun, but I’m starting a new project. 

A 10 gallon White Cloud Mountain Minnow tank!

CB93C377-7E01-47D0-82C9-693C42E3B909.jpeg

• Like 2

Northwoodsreefer

Project resurrection 2/21/19 

• Like 1

Christopher Marks

What are your plans for this one @9darlingcalvi?

Northwoodsreefer
3 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

What are your plans for this one @9darlingcalvi?

Hopefully a “pest” coral tank or just a tank of leathers and maybe some palys

• Like 1

Friendly
42 minutes ago, 9darlingcalvi said:

Hopefully a “pest” coral tank or just a tank of leathers and maybe some palys

what pests are you thinking?

Northwoodsreefer
15 minutes ago, Friendly said:

what pests are you thinking?

Idk, maybe a crab or a pistol shrimp

Friendly

those aren't pests!

aptasia is a pest!

Northwoodsreefer
4 minutes ago, Friendly said:

those aren't pests!

aptasia is a pest!

I don’t like the look of aptasia, I do like the other “pest” anemone...Manjano or something like that?

Northwoodsreefer

Going to look for a small end table and some small rock pieces this weekend. Already got a new light, filter and heater

Northwoodsreefer

Processing...

Initial setup complete

3B0DD674-B116-4EB8-BCFE-E9F927FCB869.jpeg

• Like 2

Northwoodsreefer

Well I’ve been with this tank less that 24 hours. I tunred the lights on this morning and noticed a bristle worm (no big deal). I looked at it more and saw the antenna and then I got skeptical, so I took it out and used my macro lens. Sure enough it was a baby bobbit worm! On the first day of the tank I find a baby bobbit worm! What are the chances! Now, do I keep it in the tank because I won’t have fish or do I remove him for good?

769F6B44-ABB3-42B2-A578-6BD990082B28.jpeg

4D3BBAD0-5A1B-4AB4-89F1-04570F8FE19B.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

Northwoodsreefer

Correction, the worm is a dorvilleidae worm. A scavenger that won’t harm much

Northwoodsreefer

I will never have a reef tank

• Sad 1