Coral Vue Hydros

Pulsing Xenia questions

Noobreefer90

Ok so I bought. Small thing of these last night from my local petstore and coming home and doing a little more research I’ve seen posts online about these being toxic and etc I use my bare hands in my tank don’t want to be harmed. 

Do I need to add carbon to my filter. If so can I just put it in pantyhose. All I have in my filter is polyfill / pillow stuffing the tank stays crystal been having brown algae blooms but read that could be from new plastic in tank which is my wavemaker and this tank is still kinda new 

Never heard of xenia being particularly toxic - I have had it for years off and on and never had a problem with it. You do want to put it on its own rock - if it likes your tank it can take over. Carbon helps remove some toxins and polish the water, but some don't believe in running it all the time. I do, in chemipure.

Xenia isn't toxic to the touch but do slime up.

A lot of corals release toxins, that's why most of us use activated carbon.

Buy media bags and a good activated carbon like seachem, kent, or brs brand.

It needs changing every 2-3 weeks and the bag rinsed weekly during waterchanges.

Filter floss needs changing twice a week

Gloves are always advised to use for the tanks protection and yours