SaltCritters.com

Empty ich tank help

Noobreefer90

Ok so I had a 14g biocube that had a ich outbreak and I upgraded to a bigger tank.  How can I get ich off my equipment and out of the tank to make it my hold tank for fish I’m going to add to display tank or may even make it a display tank to

I used warm soapy water ---> rinsed off with normal water ---> soaked all equipment in vinegar + more soap overnight ---> rinsed off second time with normal water ---> dried out under hot sun for a day.

Some people use bleach, but I find bleach a bit too strong, and not to mention corrosive on the skin (I'm somewhat allergic to it), so I opt for vinegar instead. Clown has pretty much covered all the steps though. 

19 minutes ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

I used warm soapy water ---> rinsed off with normal water ---> soaked all equipment in vinegar + more soap overnight ---> rinsed off second time with normal water ---> dried out under hot sun for a day.

Some people use bleach, but I find bleach a bit too strong, and not to mention corrosive on the skin (I'm somewhat allergic to it), so I opt for vinegar instead. Clown has pretty much covered all the steps though. 

Ya bleach can be good but my skin hates it too and I'm always worried about any left over and the effects of it.

• Like 2

I've heard folks claim a vinegar wipe-down (preventing deposits that could harbor pathogens as well as aiding in surface cleaning) and air drying for a day is sufficient.  This is how one of the big guides on TTM suggests cleaning tanks that are off-duty too.

Notably, bleach IS NOT a cleaner, it's a disinfectant.  (There are very bad side-effects to using is as a cleaner, BTW....bleach does not mix well with anything.) 

So if you wanted to use bleach (properly), you'd use it after the basic cleaning and vinegar wipedown.  That way all surfaces to be treated with bleach are already clean.  

I think the only reason to do a bleaching is if you're in a hurry though....24 hours clean and dry will achieve the same end.   (We don't need the tank to be sterile, we just need the pathogens in question (ich) gone or dead.)

So if you're not in a hurry, give the tank a basic cleaning, wipe it down with vinegar as a last-stage and let it air-dry for a day.  Let it dry outside in the sun (if you can and wanna go that extra mile)....some UV and fresh air won't hurt!a