SaltCritters.com

jack1978

Shrooms are popp’n babies like crazy.  The Neptune Bounce is getting a nice blue finally coming in along with the pink bubbles.  The damn turbo snail keeps knocking it over and dragging it into the RFA almost every night - otherwise I think he’d be much bigger / brighter by now.  It’s put out 2 babies now.  But also just noticed 3 other little shrooms growing off of his original plug ..... don’t know what they are as they’re red with bubbles.  Just have to wait and see. 

128A3510-FB8D-44D2-AECA-C6A4BE81D0BE.jpeg

393CE0A4-2BF8-4F7B-8D44-13A4C9B21744.jpeg

91E677EB-5070-4D3C-BE4B-AD1B17C2922A.jpeg

• Like 2

The trick to getting max colour out of shrooms is to put them on a piece of flat rock and angle it so they can adjust how much light they get. Even a piece of branch will do the same thing and keep them from getting dragged.

• Like 2
19 minutes ago, StinkyBunny said:

The trick to getting max colour out of shrooms is to put them on a piece of flat rock and angle it so they can adjust how much light they get. Even a piece of branch will do the same thing and keep them from getting dragged.

That makes great sense actually.  It’s kinda hard to tell from the pics, but all the shrooms are on sloping pieces.  Some have moved a bit .... like the orange and the Neptune.  The snail broke the jawbreaker off of the rockscape which is now on the sand.  

The Neptunes are still on the plug but slowly moving down onto the rock the plug is glued to .... hence dropping babies.  But it’s moving toward the light.  The Interstellar has turned its back to the light and seems to prefer the dimmer area and is getting brighter.  

19 hours ago, jack1978 said:

That makes great sense actually.  It’s kinda hard to tell from the pics, but all the shrooms are on sloping pieces.  Some have moved a bit .... like the orange and the Neptune.  The snail broke the jawbreaker off of the rockscape which is now on the sand.  

The Neptunes are still on the plug but slowly moving down onto the rock the plug is glued to .... hence dropping babies.  But it’s moving toward the light.  The Interstellar has turned its back to the light and seems to prefer the dimmer area and is getting brighter.  

If you look at where shrooms are collected in the wild it's how they grow and coloration varies due to depth and food. One of my mariculture guy said that's how they grow them, put them on a sloped piece of rock and let them do their thing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
12 minutes ago, StinkyBunny said:

If you look at where shrooms are collected in the wild it's how they grow and coloration varies due to depth and food. One of my mariculture guy said that's how they grow them, put them on a sloped piece of rock and let them do their thing.

I like that.  May have to play with things a bit.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, jack1978 said:

Finally found his nem! 

3038EAF9-8F4F-4C89-8C0B-43DBF58BA26D.jpeg

That's really cool!! I didn't realize they would host RFAs. Maybe something to think about for my tanks in the future 🤔

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

That's really cool!! I didn't realize they would host RFAs. Maybe something to think about for my tanks in the future 🤔

Yeah, part of their diet is anemone slime. 

• Wow 1
19 minutes ago, jack1978 said:

Yeah, part of their diet is anemone slime. 

I don't know why I assumed it had to be a tentacles anemone like a BTA or condy or something like that.

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

I don't know why I assumed it had to be a tentacles anemone like a BTA or condy or something like that.

Nope, I have 3 that live on a Giant Carpet anemone with clowns. It's funny to watch them, the clowns get pissy with the crabs and the crabs take swats at the clowns.

• Like 4
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
3 hours ago, jack1978 said:

Finally found his nem! 

3038EAF9-8F4F-4C89-8C0B-43DBF58BA26D.jpeg

I miss mine 😞. I might grab a few for all rock flowers

3 hours ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

Yup I think any nem they will. I used to have one and he moved between three different rock flowers.

• Like 3
11 minutes ago, StinkyBunny said:

Nope, I have 3 that live on a Giant Carpet anemone with clowns. It's funny to watch them, the clowns get pissy with the crabs and the crabs take swats at the clowns.

It’d be neat to find a couple and have them host one or two of these big RFAs I have. Maybe some day. Have splurged a bit lately on supplies and stuff so need to be good. 

• Like 2