Jump to content
If_Only

Stocking my Red Sea Max E 170

Recommended Posts

If_Only

So as you can see in the title I have finally broke down and bought a Red Sea max 170 with the sump upgrade after I saw that my LFS was doing a 15% discount on them. But I haven't filled this tank yet but I will probably buy some water to fill later today, this is MY first tank, but I helped take care of one at the LFS I help out at. But basically I know I want corals, there my favorite thing in the reefing hobby. I will probably keep the Red Sea skimmer in the back chamber along with the media basket then in the sump upgrade I will most likely do a refugium. The light is a AI hydra 26, and I might get a MP-10, if not I might just get 2 korelias to tide me over till I get the MP-10. So now that you all know the equipment im running im wondering what livestock I can keep.

 

Coral

 -GSP (separate rock)

 -Finger Leather

 -Toadstool

 -Zoas

 -Hammer

 -Frogspawn

 -Candycane

 -Elegence

 -Possibly acans

 -Later down the line a Monti cap or two.

 -And then any other corals that I might find interesting later down the line.

 

Fish (I order from what will be added last to what will be added first)

 -Pair of Occ. Clowns

 -Yellow corris wrasse (favorite fish)

 -Yellow clown goby

 -Pearly jawfish

 

Inverts

 - 3-4 Narrsarius snails

 - 3-4 Trochus snails

 - Cleaner shrimp

 

Clams (later after tank has matured)

 -1 Maxima

 -1 Deresa

 

 

The tank is about 24x24x24

Any thoughts much appreciated

Share this post


Link to post
Clown79

Jawfish need particular care and require a deep and bed which has it's own set of requirements and care.

 

Not sure about the wrasse in a 34g.

 

Those would be the 2 things that I would do research on

Share this post


Link to post
shaneandjohn

Well I have the E-170 and the E-260, both have been running side by side over a year. The stock skimmer is amazing, you will be very happy with it. All of the stock equipment is very good quality, except for the stock media basket. I would upgrade that to an Intank media basket as soon as it is possible.

The Hydra 26 is an amazing light!  I will highly recommend a screen top for your tank as well. Open tops are great, except for fish do jump, and snails do crawl out........

 The MP10 is a good choice - I have 1 in the 170 and 2 in the 260. I will highly suggest a battery back up for this as well. These battery-back up’s have save both of my tanks during extended power outages.

 Coral and fish choices - Do some research to make sure everything will thrive.   Be patient and start out right , slowly!!

  Let me know If you have any questions regarding the tank, I can help if you need it 👍   Shane

 

Share this post


Link to post
Clown79

Check out the aqamai kps or kpm. Great wavemaker.

Share this post


Link to post
If_Only
4 hours ago, shaneandjohn said:

Well I have the E-170 and the E-260, both have been running side by side over a year. The stock skimmer is amazing, you will be very happy with it. All of the stock equipment is very good quality, except for the stock media basket. I would upgrade that to an Intank media basket as soon as it is possible.

The Hydra 26 is an amazing light!  I will highly recommend a screen top for your tank as well. Open tops are great, except for fish do jump, and snails do crawl out........

 The MP10 is a good choice - I have 1 in the 170 and 2 in the 260. I will highly suggest a battery back up for this as well. These battery-back up’s have save both of my tanks during extended power outages.

 Coral and fish choices - Do some research to make sure everything will thrive.   Be patient and start out right , slowly!!

  Let me know If you have any questions regarding the tank, I can help if you need it 👍   Shane

 

I have a battery back up for my whole animal room, I also have emergency solar panels... Ive lost animals to power outages and I don't want to repeat it. I have chosen to do an 1050 gph Eflux wave pump, and I have the sump upgrade for the tank, once I actually get to purchasing the fish ill get a top. And how do you think a wrasse would fair in this tank.

6 hours ago, Clown79 said:

Jawfish need particular care and require a deep and bed which has it's own set of requirements and care.

 

Not sure about the wrasse in a 34g.

 

Those would be the 2 things that I would do research on

Yeah, I really like jawfish, but I might go with a goby shrimp pair, but I have done lots of research on jawfish and ill have a 2 1/2 inch(ish) sand bed, and ive heard for pearly head jawfish this is okay.

Share this post


Link to post
shaneandjohn

I think a wrasse will work in this tank, I have one.  What I have is a 6 line and it was the last addition tothe tank.

Share this post


Link to post
If_Only
1 hour ago, shaneandjohn said:

I think a wrasse will work in this tank, I have one.  What I have is a 6 line and it was the last addition tothe tank.

Yeah, is what I would really like is a blue streak cleaner wrasse, or a yellow corris, but I don't know if either of those work. I don't like the 6-lines too much...

Share this post


Link to post
If_Only

Ive been looking into a Talbots damsel, I saw them at the LFS when getting my dry rock and I think they are spectacular. Are they really peaceful? cause I would want a wrasse preferable a yellow corris or a blue streaked cleaner wrasse but if I can't house one I could do a Talbots damsel.

 

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recommended Discussions

×
×
  • Create New...