SaltCritters.com

If_Only

So as you can see in the title I have finally broke down and bought a Red Sea max 170 with the sump upgrade after I saw that my LFS was doing a 15% discount on them. But I haven't filled this tank yet but I will probably buy some water to fill later today, this is MY first tank, but I helped take care of one at the LFS I help out at. But basically I know I want corals, there my favorite thing in the reefing hobby. I will probably keep the Red Sea skimmer in the back chamber along with the media basket then in the sump upgrade I will most likely do a refugium. The light is a AI hydra 26, and I might get a MP-10, if not I might just get 2 korelias to tide me over till I get the MP-10. So now that you all know the equipment im running im wondering what livestock I can keep.

Coral

-GSP (separate rock)

-Finger Leather

-Toadstool

-Zoas

-Hammer

-Frogspawn

-Candycane

-Elegence

-Possibly acans

-Later down the line a Monti cap or two.

-And then any other corals that I might find interesting later down the line.

Fish (I order from what will be added last to what will be added first)

-Pair of Occ. Clowns

-Yellow corris wrasse (favorite fish)

-Yellow clown goby

-Pearly jawfish

Inverts

- 3-4 Narrsarius snails

- 3-4 Trochus snails

- Cleaner shrimp

Clams (later after tank has matured)

-1 Maxima

-1 Deresa

The tank is about 24x24x24

Any thoughts much appreciated

Jawfish need particular care and require a deep and bed which has it's own set of requirements and care.

Not sure about the wrasse in a 34g.

Those would be the 2 things that I would do research on

Well I have the E-170 and the E-260, both have been running side by side over a year. The stock skimmer is amazing, you will be very happy with it. All of the stock equipment is very good quality, except for the stock media basket. I would upgrade that to an Intank media basket as soon as it is possible.

The Hydra 26 is an amazing light!  I will highly recommend a screen top for your tank as well. Open tops are great, except for fish do jump, and snails do crawl out........

The MP10 is a good choice - I have 1 in the 170 and 2 in the 260. I will highly suggest a battery back up for this as well. These battery-back up’s have save both of my tanks during extended power outages.

Coral and fish choices - Do some research to make sure everything will thrive.   Be patient and start out right , slowly!!

Let me know If you have any questions regarding the tank, I can help if you need it 👍   Shane

4 hours ago, shaneandjohn said:

Well I have the E-170 and the E-260, both have been running side by side over a year. The stock skimmer is amazing, you will be very happy with it. All of the stock equipment is very good quality, except for the stock media basket. I would upgrade that to an Intank media basket as soon as it is possible.

The Hydra 26 is an amazing light!  I will highly recommend a screen top for your tank as well. Open tops are great, except for fish do jump, and snails do crawl out........

The MP10 is a good choice - I have 1 in the 170 and 2 in the 260. I will highly suggest a battery back up for this as well. These battery-back up’s have save both of my tanks during extended power outages.

Coral and fish choices - Do some research to make sure everything will thrive.   Be patient and start out right , slowly!!

Let me know If you have any questions regarding the tank, I can help if you need it 👍   Shane

I have a battery back up for my whole animal room, I also have emergency solar panels... Ive lost animals to power outages and I don't want to repeat it. I have chosen to do an 1050 gph Eflux wave pump, and I have the sump upgrade for the tank, once I actually get to purchasing the fish ill get a top. And how do you think a wrasse would fair in this tank.

6 hours ago, Clown79 said:

Jawfish need particular care and require a deep and bed which has it's own set of requirements and care.

Not sure about the wrasse in a 34g.

Those would be the 2 things that I would do research on

Yeah, I really like jawfish, but I might go with a goby shrimp pair, but I have done lots of research on jawfish and ill have a 2 1/2 inch(ish) sand bed, and ive heard for pearly head jawfish this is okay.

1 hour ago, shaneandjohn said:

I think a wrasse will work in this tank, I have one.  What I have is a 6 line and it was the last addition tothe tank.

Yeah, is what I would really like is a blue streak cleaner wrasse, or a yellow corris, but I don't know if either of those work. I don't like the 6-lines too much...

Ive been looking into a Talbots damsel, I saw them at the LFS when getting my dry rock and I think they are spectacular. Are they really peaceful? cause I would want a wrasse preferable a yellow corris or a blue streaked cleaner wrasse but if I can't house one I could do a Talbots damsel.