Cultivated Reef

Whats should go next?

CoralStorm

help me find out what i should do next?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. what fish is to add to my tank next?

• Kole Tang
    • Pair of Mandirin Dragonets
    • One spot Foxface
    • Six Line Fairy Wrasse
    • Butterflyfish (whatever i can get my hands on)

In my opinion the butterfly fish, kole tang, and fox face will all outgrow a 55 rather quickly.  Mandarin dragonets are slower feeders and may not get enough food with the other tank mates unless you target feed or have a fuge with pods for them to eat.

I have a six line and like their personalities, but just not sure if it will be compatible with the cleaner wrasse....I'd probably take my chance on a six line

it mainly depends on what butterfly fish species and the one spot foxface is one of the smallest of foxfaces and may be acceptable in the 55 i have have a coral beauty(sorry i forgot to mention it) which seems like it was a bad idea in a 55 and while it is in a 10 gallon quarantene with a young tomato clown and cleaner wrasse (they will be traansfered soon i just put them there cause the 2 had a fungus and the coral beauty is new) the fungus is gone now so about to move to the new one anyway point is is a foxfave kight be worth trying like many butterflies too i just do not know what fish to go. i was looking for compatibility but your advice is always appreciated. the six line if it will harass the cleaner i would rather not but it can be worth the risk

As far as compatibility with the other fish you already have, I think the tang, fox face and butterfly would all work.  The wrasse would be hit or miss with the other wrasse.  The dragonets could work, but I've often seen them in single species tanks or with other fish like pipe fish, fire fish, etc.

When I look at compatibility, I evaluate other fish species, tank size, type of tank (reef, fowlr, etc), specific diets, etc.

So for this tank you'll have a tomato clown, 4 chromis, cleaner wrasse, coral beauty and one more from the list?

I've kept a coral beauty in a reef tank successfully ie it didn't pick at my corals.  I've also had a kole tang and a one spot foxface when I had a 125 gallon.  Those are all great fish, and if you really want one of the larger fish I would start out with a small one with the expectation to rehome it or upgrade tanks down the road...at the end of the day a 55 gallon tank isn't really that big.

It sounds like you have a few fish in qt, would definitely recommend adding to the display slowly in order for your biological filtration to catch up.

Biota is now captive breeding yellow tangs.  If I had a large tank I would probably get one of those.

Hope this helps.

às much as you might think that ita a baf idea i am getting a 150 gallon tank and i can get the othwr fish and house until it outgrows its current tank

19 hours ago, CoralStorm said:

while it is in a 10 gallon quarantene with a young tomato clown and cleaner wrasse (they will be traansfered soon i just put them there cause the 2 had a fungus and the coral beauty is new) the fungus is gone now so about to move to the new one

If I understand this wuote correctly, you’re saying you added the coral beauty to your QT with a cleaner wrasse and tomato clown already in there for fungus. If that is correct then the ONLY correct action is to start the QT clock for everyone in there, as that is the only way to ensure the wrasse and clown don’t catch and carry something into the DT. Additionally, that’s a lot of fish in a 10g for an extended period of time. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, CoralStorm said:

thx for the fyi in there i already have an rodi unit and a pump

If you haven't fixed the flow from the post you made where people were telling you that you need more flow then you still need more flow. You need more flow in your tank. Like as in a powerhead inside the tank. Not your return pump. It sounds like you're getting the two confused. Have you ironed out your problems yet that you have been having this month? I'm kind of shocked that you're even considering your next livestock at this point being that your tank was in total chaos 2-3 weeks ago. If I remember correctly

• Like 1
13 hours ago, CoralStorm said:

às much as you might think that ita a baf idea i am getting a 150 gallon tank and i can get the othwr fish and house until it outgrows its current tank

No offense there turbo and I'm really not trying to be mean. But if you're having this much trouble with your 55 gallon and you upgrade to a 150 gallon. You're going to have 150 gallons of brown, cloudy, too quickly stocked and overstocked, poorly filtered, stagnant and not properly kept water instead of the 55 you have now. You're going to be in the same exact boat just larger problems with more expensive dead fish. You haven't properly maintenence a 55 gallon tank and shrug off every bit of help that a lot of reefers on here that I truly respect and follow every advice they give out. I had trouble at first with my 10 gallon and it was a disaster and I'm still a noob as we speak. But when someone on here like Tamberav, oldsalt or clown79 gives you advice. TAKE IT. My new tank is going 10 times better. Learn what's causing you problems in this tank before building a 150 please......

• Like 6
18 minutes ago, ReefGoat said:

No offense there turbo and I'm really not trying to be mean. But if you're having this much trouble with your 55 gallon and you upgrade to a 150 gallon. You're going to have 150 gallons of brown, cloudy, too quickly stocked and overstocked, poorly filtered, stagnant and not properly kept water instead of the 55 you have now. You're going to be in the same exact boat just larger problems with more expensive dead fish. You haven't properly maintenence a 55 gallon tank and shrug off every bit of help that a lot of reefers on here that I truly respect and follow every advice they give out. I had trouble at first with my 10 gallon and it was a disaster and I'm still a noob as we speak. But when someone on here like Tamberav, oldsalt or clown79 gives you advice. TAKE IT. My new tank is going 10 times better. Learn what's causing you problems in this tank before building a 150 please......

Yes!! Preach! 🙌🏻 

• Like 3
1 minute ago, WV Reefer said:

Yes!! Preach! 🙌🏻 

^ AND   WV Reefer.........listen to her too. Monitor these peoples threads I promise you. You'll benefit from it Coralstorm. Again i'm not trying to be mean please don't take it like that. These people are trying to help you. 

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, ReefGoat said:

^ AND   WV Reefer.........listen to her too. Monitor these peoples threads I promise you. You'll benefit from it Coralstorm. Again i'm not trying to be mean please don't take it like that. These people are trying to help you. 

Not mean. Tough love😁

We all make mistakes, we learn from others and our own mistakes.

• Like 5
52 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Not mean. Tough love😁

We all make mistakes, we learn from others and our own mistakes.

Ethically ME PERSONALLY I don't see anything wrong with a Kole tang in a 40 breeder or in his case 55 gallon tank with the right scape and experienced hobbyist. I truly don't......Hell there was even a 40 CUBE TOTM on here in 2014 that had a BEAUTIFUL tank with a Kole tang in it. But it was a well established and meticulously taken care of tank. With someone who knew what they were doing. My point in saying this is that once you are a well established hobbyist. In my personal opinion, SOME (emphasis on SOME) rules can be bent. But coralstorm, is trying to bend 101 basic rules with little to no experience at all. 

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Oldsalt01 said:

If I understand this wuote correctly, you’re saying you added the coral beauty to your QT with a cleaner wrasse and tomato clown already in there for fungus. If that is correct then the ONLY correct action is to start the QT clock for everyone in there, as that is the only way to ensure the wrasse and clown don’t catch and carry something into the DT. Additionally, that’s a lot of fish in a 10g for an extended period of time. 

there WAS fungus they have been treated and now it was gone for about a month before i put anything in there

1 hour ago, ReefGoat said:

If you haven't fixed the flow from the post you made where people were telling you that you need more flow then you still need more flow. You need more flow in your tank. Like as in a powerhead inside the tank. Not your return pump. It sounds like you're getting the two confused. Have you ironed out your problems yet that you have been having this month? I'm kind of shocked that you're even considering your next livestock at this point being that your tank was in total chaos 2-3 weeks ago. If I remember correctly

i got new flow just recently like 2 days ago

57 minutes ago, ReefGoat said:

the tank is technically not mine its my parents aquarium about a few streets down from where i live

6 minutes ago, CoralStorm said:

there WAS fungus they have been treated and now it was gone for about a month before i put anything in there

was it Ich or a fungus? Your other threads mentioned Ich and wounds on their heads, not fungus.

1 minute ago, WV Reefer said:

was it Ich or a fungus? Your other threads mentioned Ich and wounds on their heads, not fungus.

ich was a while ago and wounds on their head was lateral line disease so i grounded my tank ich was gone with help from a uv and copper treatment in a qt

i never mentioned fungus cause i had it under control

5 minutes ago, CoralStorm said:

ich was a while ago and wounds on their head was lateral line disease so i grounded my tank ich was gone with help from a uv and copper treatment in a qt

i never mentioned fungus cause i had it under control

your time lines do not add up.  You were discussing ich in the display just last week.  According to your own posts you haven't even had the tank set up long enough to go fallow for the required time in the display tank.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 1