inTank Media Baskets

DIY Led Wiring Question

Hishman

Hello,

I have a marine orbit led 24" and I managed to fry the controller since it got wet. So now I run it off an outlet timer and have hardwired the blue channel. Below is what the wiring looks like for the blue channel to run at 100%. The driver for the marine orbit is 12v and 4A so only ~23 watts of its capable 48 watts are being used. I plan on adding a couple strips of leds to the underside. I was going to experiment with ohm resistors inline on each channel until the get the desired look and par. Am I on the right track here?

Photo below for questions and confirmation on wires. When I touch the 4th wire to a running +/- led channel the light goes off. I can't figure out what this 4th wire is for. 7.5 volts run from the + wires to the - ground. 12v runs runs from the wire in question to the ground with a 10,000 ohm resistor. When the wire in question runs directly to the ground, it jumps voltage for a split second before a short protection circuit kicks in. 

Running the wire in question to a positive post on an led, and the ground to the - lights up the led. Is this just an unregulated 12v 4A circuit?

2128456060_orbitled.thumb.jpg.e4e07f8341e059e8ac7b53485bef268c.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Bump!

Some more info. Orbit marine LED only draws about HALF of what its advertised for 😲

My plan is to run a buckpuck inline this 12v wire and run as many 1W led's down the length of the orbit until i reach the PSU watt limit.

• 4 weeks later...

Can't remember for sure about Current, but some vendors advertise the nominal wattage of the LED's in use and some advertise the actual wattage.   IIRC, very few vendors report actual.

A 165w black box does not use 165 watts during usage, for example....it's just an indicator that the unit has 55 three-watt LED's.

Not sure what LED's are on the unit you're looking at, but it's common for some types of LED's to be run at 1/2 to 2/3 max wattage for maximum life / to avoid prematurely setting the LED's on fire.  😉

Most Chinese LEDs are using 3volt forward voltage tech now, so it's quite possible it's running 4 LEDs in series off unregulated 12volts. Older LEDs are running 3.6-3.7 volts. That big resistor kinda points that way.

My Mars Aqua would melt if driven at 165 watts. 🙂  The things have like 8x10 inches of 1/10 inch aluminum PCB as a heat sink.

Chinese 3watt reef LEDs rarely run more than 700mA....which if you do the math with 3-3.1 forward volts doesn't equal 3 watts, but who you gonna sue?